It isnae political, honest it isnae

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Davie

It isnae political, honest it isnae

Post by Davie » Fri May 04, 2007 10:51 pm

Ok
Ah know we urinie supposed tae discuss politics oan here.
But c’mon, ye cannie possibly no huv at least a wee bit o’ mention o the election shambles that took place last night.
For posterity, if nuchin else oan the board.
It is Talkingscot efter aw.
Talk aboot Third World Countries no bein able tae run a pukka ballot.
Ah hid nineteen different parties’ tae choose frae and two different papers tae choose some of them oan.
Noo, ah know ah’m no the sharpest tack in the wee boax, but ah’m no the saaftest in the faimily either.
However, I was not the only wan cumin oot o Mount Florida school, efter markin ma Xs and 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 or 9s shakin ther heid. An' sayin’
“Whit in the name o the wee man wiz that aw aboot”
Noo, even ah couldnie make up wan o’ the parties pittin themselves up furr the £60.000 (ah may corrected oan this sum) a year joabs.
" The Scotland against crooked lawyers’ party."
I will say nowt mer tae ah hear frae Oor Anne oan here regarding this.
Jist in case ah incriminate masel, ah'll wait furr the Lass's advice.

Jist ma thochts
Oanywan else gote wan o thaem?
Davie

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat May 05, 2007 12:31 am

Hi Davie
It was certainly a "different" experience ....and from what the news reports have said today, you were not alone in your confusion - I think most of the country was with you on that one!!

Best wishes
Lesley

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat May 05, 2007 12:47 am

The problems of the voting papers and their counting has been compared to the Florida "chads" issue of 2000.

I have no loyalty to any political party. I make my mind up at the last minute. My only strong belief is that I alway cast my vote(s). Then at least I have the right to moan about who did get voted in.

All the best,

AndrewP

wini

It isnae political, but honest

Post by wini » Sat May 05, 2007 7:32 am

This isn't political either, but from Downunder I believe that the SNP won.
Fifty odd years ago I had a French teacher, who was an ardent Scottish nationalist, he wore a kilt and rode a bike to school. Brave man doing that in the east end of Glasgow, I don't suppose he is alive to enjoy the victory., but I hope he is.

wini
Munro, McPhee, Gunn, Reid, McCreadie, Jackson, Cree, McFarland,Gillies,Gebbie,McCallum,Dawson
Glasgow, Durness,Kilmuir via Uig, Logie Easter
Old Monkland

ASGROOMBRIDGE

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Sat May 05, 2007 11:03 am

Dont think that Scotland was the only one with problems, I went to vote at oor wee English country School and was accosted at the gate by ------------ party member who would not let me past to vote until I had told him where I lived, thought that only happened in one of these poor countries where people are told who they must vote for needless to say his party did not get my vote and we only had two to choose from.

Audrey
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh

sporran

Re: voting

Post by sporran » Sat May 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Hello Audrey,

(with apologies for the thread drift).

I was a poll clerk on Thursday at a district council election in England. The guidance sheet has the following from the Representation of the People Act 1983:

66(1) The following persons -
(a) every returning officer and every presiding officer or clerk attending at a polling station;
(b) every candidate or election agent or polling agent so attending;
shall maintain and aid in maintaining the secrecy of voting and shall not, except for some purpose authorised by law, communicate to any person before the poll is closed any information as to -
(i) the name of any elector or proxy for an elector who has or has not applied for a ballot paper or voted at a polling station;
(continued).

My presiding officer would not have allowed such actions on her patch and I encourage you to report the offence.

Regards,

John

frances

Post by frances » Sat May 05, 2007 6:09 pm

My friend working at the polling on Thursday was happy to explain to an elderly gentleman the ins and outs of the ballot papers.He said he was 95 and had never missed voting at an election.

On completion of his papers and after sliding them into the appropriate boxes he turned to the polling oficers and said.

"Isn't technology wonderful". :)

Frances
searching for macrae family Black Isle/ Invernessshire

Kelly/Kelley/Burns family -Ireland /Lanarkshire/Edinburgh

Ann Wells

Post by Ann Wells » Sat May 05, 2007 6:49 pm

Aye, it wiz a bit o' a mess right enough - but Friday efternin wiz just the joab fir excitement!
Annie

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat May 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi Frances

Your reply sums up what it should have about all over Scotland!

We had the explanations well before hand. The polling station staff are delighted to assist with technical details.
Anyone who did not read the information given beforehand, then printed out in large, bold letters at the top of the sheet deserves our highest attribute of "numptie".
Must be sombody's fault - it wisnae me - Ah'm perfect :?:

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

ASGROOMBRIDGE

Post by ASGROOMBRIDGE » Sun May 06, 2007 11:27 am

Hi John,

Yes I reported it mainly because I saw two elderly folk very upset, not the kind of thing you expect in the UK.

Audrey
Looking for McGowan Anderson Fleming Sommerville Waddell in Lanarkshire. Semple Murray Baird Thompson Hutchinson in Annan Dumfriesshire Baird and Hutchinson also in Kirkinner Wigtonshire and Semple family of Annan Glasgow and Edinburgh