Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2007)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Jean Jeanie wrote:Hi Brian

I see you are researching Thomsons from West Lothian [Blackburn, Whitburn]. Could any of them strayed into Uphall? I have Thomsons from there.
Jean,

Thanks for the welcome!

The Thomsons I'm looking for are connected to my great great granny Mary Dunlop, who married John Thomson in 1873 in Blackburn. At the time of the marriage, John was living at Hopefield Mill in Blackburn and I reckon that he was born around 1846, but I don't know where, so there could well be an earlier connection with Uphall. Their daughter, Mary Dunlop Thomson was my great granny. She lived and died in Blackburn.

I know nothing about the Thomsons apart from the fact that John's parents were called John Thomson and Helen McPhail [McFell on the marriage certificate - but McPhail on his death certificate in 1904]. I can only find one marriage for JT and HMcP on Scotlands people, but the date seems way too early.

My great great grandfather, John Thomson, is the one that I posted about last night who died from opium poisoning......

Imagine searching for John Youngs, John Thomsons AND John Smiths - you'd think I had hours to spend!!

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:57 pm

Rockford wrote: I can only find one marriage for JT and HMcP on Scotlands people, but the date seems way too early
I see what you mean about the date. 1808 does appear to be a bit early.

Can't see any connection to my lot at this stage.

Have you had any luck finding your John and his parents in any of the censuses?

Best wishes
Jean

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 pm

Hi Brian

This may be the family in 1851:-

Address:Village
Parish: Torphichen
Book: 2, Sch 10

John Thomson, age 34, head, married, Born Polmont Stirling, coal miner
Helen Thomson, age 40, wife, married, Born St Ninians Stirling
Colin Thomson, age 10, son, Born Polmont Stirling, Scholar
Alexander Thomson, age 8, son, Born Torphichen West Lothian, Scholar
Janet Thomson, age 7, daughter, Born Linlithgow West Lothian, Scholar
Ann Thomson, age 5, daughter, Born Torphichen West Lothian
John Thomson, age 3, son, Born Torphichen West Lothian
James Thomson, age 1, so, Born Torphichen West Lothian

I had a quick look on Scotlandspeople and 2 John Thomsons died in Torphichen between 1855 and 1917 and 1 Helen Thomson died there between the same dates. Putting in the name of McPhail, produced no hits, which is unfortunate. However, informants didn't always know maiden names!!!

Good luck with your searches.

Best wishes
Jean

stephen7

Post by stephen7 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:26 pm

i was recommende to visit here from a member on rootschat, so here i am as a member now.
steve
searching tarleton, stephenson,sommerville, fre, main and many more in/around the hamilton area

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:33 pm

Hi Steve

A warm welcome to the house of fun, fantasy and good hard facts.
I hope we can collectively unravel any Gordian knots you come across in any branches of you tree.
Don't hesitate to post problems because we all have asked for assistance at some point. :D
Enjoy your visits.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:25 am

stephen7 wrote:i was recommended to visit here from a member on rootschat, so here i am as a member now.
steve
A very warm welcome to TalkingScot !!

David

Helen G

Joining TS

Post by Helen G » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi All,

I am unsure if this is the correct place that Ihave posted this reply as I am a novice on this site. I found TS after I had contacted SP with a query that I had with regards to on of the queries I had searched on. In my correspondance a very nice lady directed me to this site as I had a query with regards to Irish relatives. I have seen that Liz is arranging a seminar. I have been in touch with Liz and am very keen to participate in this event as I have exhausted my lineup to the current date in the West Coast of Scolatnd. I am having difficulty trying to trace my Irish Ancestry on my fathers side they came from Londonderry sometime between September 1860 and September 1865. The topics on this site makevery interesting reading. I thought I would like to participate with people of the same interest.

Cheers
Helen
Helen from west coast of Scotland

Looking for the following familys from Ireland and Greenock, Murray's, Kelly's, Knoxs, Dixon, Cook, Maguire and Canning Clans as well as the Burow family from Germany

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi Helen

So glad you found us. Welcome to Talking Scot!

Those with Irish ancestors are excited at the prospect of the seminar that Liz is organising and we all look forward to hearing of brick walls breaking down as a result.

Meantime, it might be worth your while to post some of your research queries on the Ireland Forum.

Best wishes and Happy Hunting

Catriona

Helen G

Thanks

Post by Helen G » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:53 pm

Thanks Catriona I shall try there

Helen
Helen from west coast of Scotland

Looking for the following familys from Ireland and Greenock, Murray's, Kelly's, Knoxs, Dixon, Cook, Maguire and Canning Clans as well as the Burow family from Germany

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:06 am

Hi Helen,

Welcome from one Greenockian to another. I'm sure you will find lots of help on the talkingscot site.

I just got back into town and received your PM. Will answer your PM later this evening.

Once again welcome.

Ina