How many Collins families in Ireland? .....

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

Gran

Post by Gran » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:47 pm

She was supposed to look for a Margaret Collins with a father James born between 1864 and 1866. She said there was only one civil registration for a Margaret Collins in the 60s and she was born 1866 to Thomas Collins and Catherine Morris.

The research was done before the 1901 census came out or I would have extended the dates, but with all the different ages, she could have been born during a ten year period :lol:
Gran

IanS

Post by IanS » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:47 pm

Gran, I just found a James Collins and a Bridget Reilly had a child Bridget in Collon, Louth. 1872. I doubt if this would be their only child, the only one on the online I.G.I. though.

Witness at Margarets wedding a Thomas Riley (remember she came to visit an uncle who was a policeman)

1881 census a Thomas Riley, Policeman, in Sculcoates, 5mls from Leeds.

Now the Crew policemen Benjamin and S. could be related or not , but I think by the looks of it the Yorkshire police were recruiting in County Louth. Francis Collins could well be a coincidence.

In fact, the above Rileys could be a coincidence, it needs a bit more investigation, but a possibility all the same.

Gran

Post by Gran » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:42 am

Will go have a look at the Thomas Riley policeman, I had always assumed he was the husbands witness as the female was Margaret's. Thank You for the suggestions they are possibilities worth checking out.
Gran

IanS

Post by IanS » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:32 am

Sorry about distance error from Leeds to Sculcoates, as you say its more like 60.