Seeton's in Ireland - from Scotland? .....

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

Abygail

Seeton's in Ireland - from Scotland? .....

Post by Abygail » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:55 pm

George Seaton and Mary Gribble app 1830 - 1919 both allegedly 90+ years of age when they passed on.
- Mulnagore, Carland, Dungannon, Co Tyrone.
I have had no joy in locating information re these two ancestors or their sons, George Seaton, who allegedly went to 'America' pre 1880 or John Seeton who ended up in Ballarat Australia, arriving in Adelaide south Australia in 2/2/1880 on a cargo ship "West Riding" from which he deserted. There was also a sister / cousin called Jane?
John Seeton is an ancestor of mine, he date of Birth was given as 15/03/1857, he lists his parents names (as Above) on his marriage certificate when he married in 1895. and only names Ireland as his place of birth. The same info was repeated on his death Certificate. He was widowed in 1903. He died in 1923. His 3 daughters were fostered out to members of his wife's family. (They are proving to be hard enough to trace) Does anyone have any info re Family who travelled from Scotland to Northern Ireland and 'left' some there or have similar names that have gone 'no-where' in their research?
I know Ireland is very difficult to research from afar, but I am hopeful.
    By trying to walk in their shoes, and not judging them by todays' scale will make us wiser for tomorrows children.

nancy

Post by nancy » Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:03 pm

Hi there Abygail, I am also looking for Seatons amongst others.My hubby is a Bruce Seaton,born Paisley.His father William was born Falkirk,but his father Thomas born Paisley.I know there were ones born Glasgow,but i'm still researching them.On one cert i think the spelling is Seton.As far as i know Seton was Scottish spelling,and Seaton English way.Bruce went with family on holiday to a little place called Seaton, in Devon, when he was young,because name was same.I'll keep digging to see what more i can find. Cheers Nancy

Abygail

Seeton's in Ireland - from Scotland?

Post by Abygail » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:35 am

Hello Nancy,
    I have it spelt both ways on documentation I have, as was the way of public servants then (still is today) they always knew the correct spelling. Just because you have used it daily, they know your illiterate. Sorry, just the variation of spelling can be such a PAIN!
    It most likely started out as SETON but being in Northern Island with english public servants it was changed and I don't know how many generations before my John Seeton was born (in 1857) it may have happened. Also with the lack of census and records in general I doubt I ever will find out. It's just another avenue I thought I could explore, I may get lucky. Mary Gribble is spelt as such on John's marriage certificate, but I have also had it spelt as Grimble so I have scope.
    Thanks for reading my grumble and any help you turn will be much appreciated.
    Regards Abygail
    By trying to walk in their shoes, and not judging them by todays' scale will make us wiser for tomorrows children.