Daisy Baxter Bruce

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

darylrodger

Daisy Baxter Bruce

Post by darylrodger » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:32 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to find my great grand aunt Daisy Baxter Bruce, who was living at a house at 11.1 Infirmary Rd, Cork, in the 1901 census.

I was wondering if the address she was living at was the Cork hospital for Women & Children as it's in the same road, and the head of the house was
a hospital superintendent called M H Baxter. Daisy was a servant, and was 17 yrs old. She came from Brechin, Angus, so was far from home.
Her parents were David Bruce (Stonemason) & Mary Shirret (died 1892) her d.o.b is 12 Feb 1884.

I can't seem to find her after 1901 in Ireland, so don't know if she married, moved away, or died there.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks,

Daryl

Currie

Re: Daisy Baxter Bruce

Post by Currie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:31 am

Hello Daryl,

The Evening Herald, Thursday, May 16, 1901, reported the resignation of Miss M. H. Baxter of her position of Lady Superintendent of the Women's Hospital, Cork. She was also interested in showing dogs. It appears she became Matron there in 1886.

More here http://www2.rcn.org.uk/development/rcn_ ... w9MQ%3D%3D

In the Wicklow News-Letter, Saturday, May 25, 1901, there's reported the death of a Miss Daisy Bruce. She was the cousin of the late Miss Meta Bruce, sisters Evelyn and Kathleen and Mrs Curry. Funeral was Methodist, so probably the other Daisy Bruce on the 1901 Census. Parts difficult to read, but let me know if you want more info.

Alan

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:34 am

Interesting that your Aunt is Daisy [a pet name for Margaret] Baxter Bruce, and the Matron was M [Margaret maybe?] Baxter.
Is there a relationship there?
Can you find the Matron after her retirement? is your lady with her.
She may have been sent over to a distant relation for work or after her mother died.
Wilma

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:36 am

Hi Alan,

Many thanks for finding that info regarding M Baxter, I was wondering if she was related to Daisy in some way as she was also Scottish (from Perth) and that is why Daisy was so far from home,could it be she found employment in Cork possibly alongside a relative (both having Baxter in their name ) ?

Could you tell me more about the death of the Daisy Bruce mentioned in the Wicklow newsletter ?

Thanks again,

Daryl

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:49 am

Hi Wilma,

Yes, I've noticed that there maybe a connection between M H Baxter & my Daisy Bruce somewhere. On the 1901 Irish census, it mentioned that M Baxter came from Perth, which isn't a million miles away from Angus. They could be cousins. I haven't found anything for Daisy at all, so don't know if she stayed in Ireland.

I do know that Daisy did have an older sibling called Margaret Helen b.1865, (and married an Alexander Ross in 1893) Daisy's birth cert states her birth name as Daisy Baxter.

Regards,

Daryl

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:43 am

I read the article Currie found , it states there that Miss Baxter and the entire staff had handed in their resignations - I wonder what the aftermath of that was ? surely the situation was rectified. - Political intrigue.

There are 2 Daisy Bruce, born around 1884, deaths recorded on Scotland's People,
have you ruled them out?
Wilma

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi Wilma,

I've had a look on SP for those 2 deaths, but they're for the same person Muriel Daisy Pryce I'm afraid.

Regards,

Daryl

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Daryl,

It would be easier for me to just to provide the image, and I used to do that by posting it on Photobucket, but that site is now so infested with ads and popups that I wouldn't invite anyone to go there.

I'll try Imgur and see what happens.

Wicklow News-Letter, Saturday, May 25, 1901

Part1 http://imgur.com/9HAyaEI
Part2 http://imgur.com/LjUbAw6

Hope this works.

Alan

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Daryl,

Have you seen the Hegarty Family Tree on Ancestry.com? It says that Daisy was one of 16 children of David Bruce and Mary Shirret. None are the two sisters mentioned in Alan's Wicklow article. Another tree has that Daisy Bruce listed with different parents than David and Mary Bruce.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

darylrodger

Post by darylrodger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Alan & Carol,

I've found a tree on Ancestry which has the Daisy that Alan found for me and matches the young lady who died in May 1901, so it looks like it's not my Daisy unfortunately.
I also checked the Hegarty tree too, and it is the same Daisy as mine she was one of 16 siblings (her older brother William was my great grandfather) her father married two years after Mary Shirret died in 1892 and had a further 3 children !

Thanks for the links Alan, they did work it's just a shame it wasn't the right Daisy. And thanks for spotting that tree Carol it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Daryl