Reading Material 2

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

HK

Reading Material 2

Post by HK » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:42 am

Hello Malcolm,
Back in early Dec. you were looking for some material on how our ancestors lived when they weren't working.I've found a book called "The Victorian House" by Judith Flanders.This book tells of "...the backbreaking effort that accompanied the Victorians on their journey through daily life from childbirth to deathbed."
The book moves from room to room in a Victorian home discribing the practices and customs of the times.If your long losts like most of mine were not so lucky to have lived in one of these great houses you may still find the book good reading as it goes into things such as the correct mourning period for different members of the family .The avarage cost of things and even how people responded to the explosion of Krakatoa in 1883.
HeatherK

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:29 am

Hello Heather
I was just browsing this site and came accross your post about reading material. When I opened it i saw the reply was for me I was surprised. It was like a surprise gift.
I have looked high and low for anecdotal material on the lives of ordinary people in specific parts of Scotland. I haven't given up, but at the moment I am developing a new tactic of discovering the whereabouts of certain Social Historians. One or more of such people will have the kind of stuff I'm looking for. When I find one I will make an offer that can't be refused.
When i get what i want I'll let you know
Malcolm
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone