Thomas Burke - Near Omaha Nebraska USA

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

rosieno1

Re: Thomas Burke - Near Omaha Nebraska USA

Post by rosieno1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Carol - started my last post before you posted your last message - but it took a long time to complete as I was a bit of a Dodo at finding the grave yard records! So I'v only just seen your post! I will investigate the look up!

Ta again for all the help!
Janex

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:03 am

Don't know if this might be your Thomas but it's possible.....

From Greeley Who's Who
by Edith Swain McDermott
found online here:
http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ne/topic/re ... reeley.htm

"Two Irishmen, Patrick Hynes and Michael McCarthy, becoming dissatisfied with hazardous life in the mines of Pennsylvania, decided they wanted to rear their children in the wide open spaces of
the west. They spent several weeks during the spring of 1877 looking for a location without success, until they met a government surveyor in a hotel in Grand Island. He gave them a glowing account of the land which was being opened in Greeley County. Making an inspection trip, they were delighted with the fertile, gently rolling land in the Spring creek valley and both remained to take homesteads, build sod houses and begin cultivation. Their families arrived in the summer and others who came that year from the Pennsylvania mining districts were John G. Foster, Patrick Brown, Thomas Burke and Michael Taylor." ENDQUOTE

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:52 am

Jean, I don't think that's Jane's family. I found The Pioneer History of Greeley County on Ancestry by searching the card catalog for anything on Nebraska.

The Burkes from PA are the same Burkes who have Mrs. Mary Burke as Thomas' mother on the census. Can't remember which census now. There is also a Thomas W. Burke mentioned.

The only possible mention I found for Jane's Burkes was about the Women's Club formed in the early nineties (1890's) with member Mrs. T.G. Burke. The list of members actually starts out "Mesdames..."!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:53 am

This looks like Thomas in the 1890-91 Business Directory of the Nebraska Gazetteer at Greeley Center: “Burke, Thomas G, saloon”. It sounds like he has a Pub.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~negre ... ycent.html

Does Ancestry have the Greeley Leader or the Greeley Democrat in their newspaper collection?

Alan

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:39 am

Hi Alan,

No newspapers for Greeley that I could see. Most of what Ancestry has seems to be out of Lincoln, NE. Didn't see anything for Omaha even. Also, the Nebraska marriages don't cover Greeley County.

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:11 am

Thanks Carol,

I think I’ve been a bit spoiled when it comes to newspapers. The last Ancestry newspaper freebie, a fair while back and I think you may have posted it, gave me a bucket-load of stuff from exactly the place I needed. (Oshkosh, Wisconsin)

All the best,
Alan

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks again for everyone's help! As I've said before, I think, I would still like to absolutely convince myself that this is my Thomas. If this was in Scotland, I would do so by checking the marriage certificate, as it would give parental details for both parties ( at least as much as was known by the two participants). Death certificates also give parental details, again somewhat limited by how much the person doing the registering (ie wife/son/son In laws etc) knows of of the deceased's history. However I understand that at the times concerned, where the country was still expanding into the unknown, meticulous record keeping wasn't the highest priority!

I will have to try direct contact with the relevant authorities, to see what I can find out, if not about the marriage, then perhaps about death of Thomas G Burke - that's my aim in taking things forward - thanks again for all your help!
Janex

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:00 am

Janex,

Just a quick note then I'm out of here for the night! The WWI registration for Thomas Killilla didn't pan out. There was Thomas B. Killila born in Rock Island, Illinois July 5, 1888 who becomes a "minister of religion" by 1916 when the draft card was filled out. This Thomas' father was born in New York and he is living with him and family on the 1900 census. He makes many trips to Europe, but as far as I can tell never sets foot in Nebraska!