NLS Maps - 1944-66 with house numbers

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

WilmaM

NLS Maps - 1944-66 with house numbers

Post by WilmaM » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:15 pm

I was searching on the National Library of Scotland Maps today and found a new [for me anyway] set of maps.

The OS 1:1,250 1944 - 1966 has the individual houses numbered or in some cases named.

It doesn't cover the whole country, but the majority of the major towns, cities and urban areas seem to be -Edinburgh, Inverclyde, Glasgow & North Lanarkshire, some Ayrshire towns and of course Perth, Dundee, Arbroath, Aberdeen and Inverness. Even Thurso is!

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=8& ... rs=170&b=1

As it's an overlay of modern maps it's a great tool for finding more recent addresses and pinpointing if they still are standing, I've already found a few surprises.
It even names some of the pubs.
Wilma

Currie

Re: NLS Maps - 1944-66 with house numbers

Post by Currie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:24 am

Nice find Wilma.

They are real works of art. Imagine the work that went into producing them.

I wish there was something like that for my neck of the woods.

All the best,
Alan

jgmills

Re: NLS Maps - 1944-66 with house numbers

Post by jgmills » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:24 am

They also have a fair amount of London and the South East of England digitised, and have just received the go ahead to digitise more of the country.

1:1,250 cover the urban areas of the country, with 1:2,500 the more urban areas and 1:10,000 covering the Mountain and Moorland, sound like a salesman, but having spent over 35 years working for Ordnance Survey, Cartography is in my blood.

Alan you mention works of art, in some cases they truly were - Like a map published with a ship on the Manchester ship canal, and sheep drawn among the vegetation. I have even seen a map (not Ordnance Survey) where the surveyors drew a contour line in the shape of an Elephant half way up the hill. :lol:

Cheers
John