Are there naming patterns for middle-names?.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Are there naming patterns for middle-names?.....

Post by Dennis » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:43 pm

I have an ancestor with the middle-name Hogg. Should I assume that I will eventually encounter someone with the surname Hogg?

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi Dennis

I have no practical advice on this one but to offer my own personal experience. I have a GrGrAunt named Jessie Crawford McMeekin. Do you think I've ever found hide nor nair of a Crawford lurking anywhere???...........nope...... :?

Hope you find a better answer....

Best wishes
Jean

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi Dennis and Jean,

I can't add anything but just to say my mother's name was Margaret Crawford Griffin. Sadly she's not with us anymore so I can't ask her why she was called Crawford, and nobody in the family is able to tell me. I have since found out her elder sister also had Crawford as a middle name but as yet in all my searching I haven't come across anyone with the name.

Her mother was Agnes Melville McGibbon but I can't find the reason for the Melville either.

Maybe one day........ :?

Alison

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:16 pm

Basically the answer is no to a pattern.........

That written, most often the wife's maiden surname is used first, then grandmothers' surnames, then maybe greatgrandmothers', but not uncommon to find the repeat or even sole use of the mother's middle name.........

Neither is it uncommon to find the middle name used being that of a parent or grandparent deceased not long before the birth.

But watch out for the use of the minister's name, - traditional for his first baptism to be named after him; or the doctor's or midwife's name; or just someone whom the parents admired.

And then there was James Blair Drummond Clark ...... good chance of a Blair and a Drummond in his ancestry :?: :!:

Not really :!: :!: , - his father went out first to New Zealand, before his birth, on the SS Blair Drummond =D>

Davie

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:33 pm

I wish there was a pattern.

My mother's forenames are Mary Ingrid, born 1913. So where did the Ingrid come from?

No one knows! My sister's forename is Ingrid, but she never asked where her name came from - and now it's too late :(

A wee while back i thought an older rellie might provide the answer - but i soon realised that that older rellie was ME :) - a' the rest are deid....

Jack
--
ps, by coincidence sis Ingrid has the same birthday as Ingrid Bergmann (29 Aug) - but well after the famous one's 1915 birth!

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:48 pm

Jack wrote:.....snipped............

A wee while back i thought an older rellie might provide the answer - but i soon realised that that older rellie was ME :) - a' the rest are deid....

Jack
....snipped
Let that be a lesson to anyone with aged relatives who hasn't asked them for help........

In t'other words, if you have an aged relative whom you haven't asked for assistance, then do so next weekend, just in case they pop their clogs the following week !! <sad g>

Davie

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:01 am

Hi Dennis,

I have many ancestors with the Hogg name, many of them have Hogg as a middle name also (Hogg is my mother's maiden name). What other information do you have on your ancestor?

Regards,
AnneH

ladybird

Post by ladybird » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:03 am

Hi Alison
My ancestor (Great Uncle actually) also seems to have aquired the surname Melville...he certainly wasn't baptised with it and I've found no Melvilles in my tree to date.
All I can think is that he added it too his name in remembrance of his first wife, who died, but I haven't found her either :?
Sylvia
Searching in Scotland for
Townsend/Townsley, Jeffrey, Stewart, Conway, Berry, Stevens, Craig, Wallace

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:34 pm

Hi Anne H.

I have a James Hogg Lennox 1858-1939; and have no idea where he got that middle name.

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

mesklin

Post by mesklin » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:16 pm

Dennis

Check out maiden aunts. A very possible source of middle names.

Mesklin