Are there naming patterns for middle-names?.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

sheilajim

Are there patterns for middle names

Post by sheilajim » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:01 pm

Who Knows
My mother was named Letitia Morin Macdonald and her older sister was named Agnes Boyd Macdonald. My mother told me that she had been named for her paternal grandmother and her sister had been named for her maternal grandmother. This gave me a good start in my geneological search. I found out that she was right. I also found out that my grandmother was named Mary McKinnon McLaren. Sure enough, her gramdmother was Mary Mckinnon. My mother had also mentioned that we were related to Dunns and Kennedys. I found the Kennedys but not yet the Dunns. Her paternal grandfather was named John Dunn McDonald, who also named his eldest son John Dunn McDonald. With the help of JustJean, I found the marriage register of this ggrandfather listed strangely as John Dunn. It turned out that his father was also named John Dunn McDonald. So far I haven't found where the Dunn comes from.

One of the problems of the registers and censuses is that they usually don't give the middle name.

Sheila
Sheila

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:50 pm

Hi Dennis,

I haven’t come across the name Lennox in any of my searches but I noticed at some point you had downloaded a death certificate for a James Hogg Drysdale…I haven’t come across the name Drysdale either and I don’t know if this will be of any help, but IGI has the following:

Batch #M100121, dates 1820-1854
James Drysdale married to Mary Duncan 10 Jan 1824 in Dunfermline.

Batch #M100121, dates 1750-1819
George Hog married Margaret Duncan 15 Dec 1792, Dunfermline.

Could there possibly be a connection here? You may have come across this info before, but if not, it might be worth looking into.

If I come across your names in the future, I’ll let you know. Lots of luck!

Regards,
AnneH

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:16 pm

Hi Dennis,

Have you found out why James' brother Henry has the middle name of DEAS?
Just hoping their middle names came about for the same reason!

I take it the parents of John LENNOX & Elisabeth DRYSDALE yield no clues?
--
There's this marriage in the IGI linking Hogg with Drysdale, but not on the face of it to Lennox.

JAMES HOGG
MARGARET DRYSDALE
Marriage: DEC 1820 Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
--
Also this birth not too far away from John Lennox & Elizabeth Drysdale in Dunfermline & Inverkeithing.

JAMES HOGG OR DRYSDALE
Birth: 11 MAR 1856 Clackmannan, Clackmannan, Scotland
Father: JAMES HOGG
Mother: MARGARET DRYSDALE
--
But very possibly all just a coincidence.

Jack

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:52 pm

Hello Jack.

I know that Henry's dad, John Lennox ( husband of Elizabeth Drysdale), was the son of Lawrence Lennox & Catherine Deas; and figured that Henry got his middle name from there.

dennis

Hello Anne H.

Yes, I had retrieved the death cert for James Hogg Drysdale in the hope that it would yield his parents; which I'd upped to the gallery as I could not make out his mom's maiden name ( its said to be Smeaton).To date I have found nothing on J.H.Drysdale's parents, so I don't know if he had any siblings, aunts, uncles, etc.

dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:40 pm

Hi Dennis,As Davie said there is no pattern as such but the maiden surnames do pop up ,sometimes even repeatedly.I even have the sister in laws maiden name as a middle name in my family.However I was stumped with one,McDowall.I have a Great gran by the name of Eleanor McDowall Queate and no sign of a McDowall untill I found that her father who was a gardener worked for a family called McDowall.So the middle
name (if there even is one) can come from anywhere. :D
HeatherK
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

Alcluith

Post by Alcluith » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:59 am

We have middle names in our family tree ,prior to 1855, of those that were witnesses at the christening.
Later it would appear to be nieghbours in small community or friends (sometimes helps to look at census information close to births) and more recent it was godparents.
We do also have a lot of mother and Grandmother maiden names

So afraid no hard and fast rule
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

Jinty

Surname/Middle name

Post by Jinty » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:09 pm

It's been a while since I visited the forum and looking through what has been taking place, this one caught my eye. I've a family where there is considerable evidence of surname appearing as a middle name. The most used appears to be the mother's maiden surname. Searching for how a name came to be used, I had to trace back to gt grandmother, and found it.
I hope those with a similar dilemma are encouraged. :D
Jinty
Searching
Dun/Dunn ~ Montrose & London 1745
Shand/Dun ~ Montrose 1783
Sheret/Sherrat ~ Kincardineshire. 1741
Chester ~ Glasgow 1780
Rowat ~ Glasgow & Mull 1775
Campbell ~ Mull 1822
Mysteries: Kirkpatrick, Liverpool, Caldy, Cheshire 1783

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:24 pm

Me and my sister have surnames for middle names, but my brother has our father's name as a middle name.

Pre my grandparents, very few of my lot seem to have had middle names registered. However, one GG Grandmother suddenly revealed a middle name on her 2nd husbands DC. It is totally unrelated to any one I have got back to - yet.

Why, I wonder, did she suddenly decide to use it at that point?

I have discovered that one of my ancestors was not given a middle name till the christening. Maybe waiting to see which grandparent/auntie came up with the best gift? Ooh! I am so cynical!

Once I have got the DC, MC, DC details sorted out, I might move onto finding baptisms. Glutton for punishment, me :shock:

As to my own two offspring, my daughter has an unrelated firstname, but my mother's first name then my mother-in-law's first name as middle names. My son has dad-in-law then my dad's firstnames for middles. His first name is my maiden name :D
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Jinty

Post by Jinty » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:56 pm

I've just remember another, perhaps more up to date reason for using a family name as a middle name. Perhaps post WW2 it became a fashion for those with a common name, such as "SMITH" or "JONES", to hyphenate the name using Mother's maiden surname, such as "REES-JONES" to make it sound less common.
Jinty
Searching
Dun/Dunn ~ Montrose & London 1745
Shand/Dun ~ Montrose 1783
Sheret/Sherrat ~ Kincardineshire. 1741
Chester ~ Glasgow 1780
Rowat ~ Glasgow & Mull 1775
Campbell ~ Mull 1822
Mysteries: Kirkpatrick, Liverpool, Caldy, Cheshire 1783

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:22 pm

Well my middle name is the name of my great-aunt-Granny's sister.
Mum was very much the traditionalist & wanted first child for her Mother & 2nd child(me) for Dad's Mum.He had a belief that children grew up like those they were named for so he as a compromise told his Mum that I was being named for her late sister-in fairness to my Dad he was very fond of this Aunt & she had probably Mothered him more than his own!.
Mum said"over my dead body"& how hurt his Mum would be.
So I got the female form of my Dad's name with a french twist as my christian name & the above as my middle.
I have found almost to a man that there is some family connection to the middle name usually Mother's maiden name.
Still looking as to why Lewis( Inkson)McKimmie,Ramsay (Wardlaw) McFarlane,John( Gordon Thompson) McKimmie& William (Trail) McKimmie.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins