Helen Cheyne born Kintore 1886 ** birthday bumped post **

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:01 pm

imlincs wrote: Annette in her post of Oct 12th also mentioned a Jane who died young and a Mary but I’m not sure where they came from.

Ian
+++
Results for: Father: William Simpson, Mother: Christina Chapman
Exact Spelling: Off

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 6
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. CHRISTINA SIMPSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 08 DEC 1860 Forgue, Aberdeen, Scotland

2. WILLIAM SIMPSON - International Genealogical Index

3. GEORGE SIMPSON - International Genealogical Index

4. ROBERT SIMPSON - International Genealogical Index

5. MARY SIMPSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 25 SEP 1868 Forgue, Aberdeen, Scotland

6. JANE SIMPSON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Birth: 19 APR 1866 Forgue, Aberdeen, Scotland

Regards,
Annette

Susan

Post by Susan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:12 pm

Ian

Mary born 1868 is with her aunt Jane Williamson (maiden name Chapman) and family at Ordiquihill, Banffshire in the census for 1871, 1881, 1891.

Not been able to pinpoint William in 1841 yet, but the rest of his family are staying as lodgers with farmer William Johnston 35 at New Mill, Forgue.

Christian Johnston 30
Christian Simpson 16
George Simpson 11 (William's twin brother)
Janet Simpson 2

Also there are Janet Johnston 76, William and Christian's mother and a George Cruickshank 74, who is most likely Janet's brother. (There are several farm servants also staying there).

In 1851 William is with the family at West Park Street, Huntly.

Christian Simpson 42
William Simpson 19
Janet Simpson 12
Isabella Cheaper 2 (grand daughter)

They are all shown as being born in Huntly which made it hard to track them down though.

William's mother Christian Johnston dies in 1856 in Huntly.

Susan.

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:13 pm

Hello all,

The Sansum/Simpson marriage crops up in a newspaper index
http://www.elginogs.ca/newsindexes/time ... il&may.htm

St. Thomas Journal, St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
9 May 1922, Second Section, Page 13, c2
Married - Albert Sansum to Mary Louisa Simpson, daughter of Robert Simpson

There’s more if you go to advanced google search http://www.google.com.au/advanced_search?hl=en
Search the domain http://www.elginogs.ca for sansum

St. Thomas Times-Journal, St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
31 December 1945, Page 8, c3
Died - Mrs Charles Matthews, nee Mary Elizabeth Carter, Dec 30, daughter of Frederick & Mary Carter, nee Key; sister of William John Carter; widow of William Legg (1916); Aunt of John George Carter; foster mother of Albert Sansum

Aylmer Express newspaper, May 8, 1947, Page 2, c6
25th anniversary of Mr & Mrs Albert SANSUM, Belmont

St. Thomas Times-Journal, St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
17 December 1948, Page 6, c4
Died - Mrs Sarah Inglis, Dec 11, cousin of Mrs Albert Sansum of Belmont

Aylmer Express newspaper, Aylmer, Ontario
1960 – 1964
Sansum, Albert, D, 14 Mar 62, 5, 6, 69th year
Simpson, Mary L., W, 14 Mar 62, 5, 6, Sansum
(See the note on the site – both entries are in respect of death of Albert)

Here’s Albert.
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/t ... 1210021683
Albert Sansum/Samson, 18, domestic for William Legg and family in Dorchester South, Elgin, Ont, arr 1903 on SS Canada with Dr Barnardos.

Hope that’s useful,
Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:24 pm

Great stuff, Alan!
Looks like they took that cruise to Alaska to celebrate their 25th anniversary!*
Ian should have fun with all this :D
Sarah

*If they are the parents of Margaret Kennedy... so far I don't see any birth announcements for that couple in the indexes you have given us...

imlincs

Post by imlincs » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Hello Alan

Interesting that the Sansums celebrated their silver wedding in May 1947 and Margaret Kennedy wrote in August 1947 that "Mother and Dad ... were away up to Alaska by boat this year". Maybe a celebration cruise (or just wishful thinking on my part)?

Would Albert Sansum's death announcement in the Aylmer Express be likely to include names of children as well as wife's maiden name?

Ian

ps just noticed Sarah's post but decided to put it up anyway.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi all,
When Albert was drafted for WWI he said his birthdate was 23 Dec 1892, Birmingham. This is possibly the one who shows up in FreeBMD in 1st quarter 1893, Aston District, Warwickshire (if the dates in the index are when the birth was registered, rather than when the birth actually occurred). He is possibly the one living with Jane Sansum, age 52, in Aston in 1901. There are a few problems though... On his marriage cert, his father is called John. The husband of Jane, if one goes back 10 years to find him, is Stephen. They do, however, have a daughter Florence who was born 1873 in Aston-- just the right age to be Albert's mother? Wonder what his birth cert actually says...

Regards,
Sarah

Ian, it doesn't look like there is any mention of a Kennedy in that death announcement, assuming that all names are indexed (as they seem to be otherwise). So does that mean our next task is to go after Sarah Inglis and find out who she was? :shock: This is quite the family saga :lol:

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi all,
Albert and Mary Louisa went back to the UK at least twice. They appear on a ship's list arriving in Southampton in 1936, then again in Greenock in 1958. Neither time are there any children with them... I'm beginning to think that they didn't have children, and that we have to look elsewhere for Margaret Kennedy :roll:

Sarah

imlincs

Post by imlincs » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:12 pm

Hello Sarah/Alan

The death announcements seem to cross reference a parent but not children. Is it not possible that children’s names might appear without being indexed?

I’m not sure that Sarah Inglis is going to be much help as Margaret Kennedy’s mother unless she picked up something fatal on her Alaskan cruise (but you never know!). The death announcement doesn’t give her age so I suppose she could have been Sarah Simpson daughter of James and Isabella born Tarves abt 1888 or James and Ann born Tarves abt 1886 although I haven’t yet cross checked either of them back to Aunt Maggie.

It would be really nice to trace MK’s parents because I think that could give near certainty to the picture of “The Simpsons” you have all helped me build up.

I still haven’t been able to link the photo of Aunt Maggie and my mother from the Gallery to this topic. Can anyone explain how I do that?

Ian
+++

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:04 pm

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1673

You just copy and paste the url Ian.

Could Aunt Maggie be the lady on the left in the earlier picture?

Regards,
annette

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:56 pm

imlincs wrote: The death announcements seem to cross reference a parent but not children. Is it not possible that children’s names might appear without being indexed?
Hi Ian,
I was judging by this one, that seems to index everyone! But perhaps they are not all like that.
Died - Mrs Charles Matthews, nee Mary Elizabeth Carter, Dec 30, daughter of Frederick & Mary Carter, nee Key; sister of William John Carter; widow of William Legg (1916); Aunt of John George Carter; foster mother of Albert Sansum