Parish of Small Isles (Canna, Eigg, Muck, Rum)

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Aodh

Parish of Small Isles (Canna, Eigg, Muck, Rum)

Post by Aodh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:43 am

Anyone with family connections to the Parish of Small Isles (Canna, Eigg, Muck, Rum), espically Muck and Rum prior to the clearances of 1826 and 1828? I am researching MacLeans, MacKinnons, MacKays, MacInnis, Fraser, MacIsaac, MacMillan, Campbell and others.
Researching:
MacInnis, MacKay, MacLean - Isle of Rum
MacKinnon, MacLean, MacMillan, Campbell - Isle of Muck
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
Sommerville, Gordon, Neilson, Penman - Midlothian
Quigley - Bothwell, Monklands, McCairney - Glasgow
and many more!

Russell

Re: Parish of Small Isles (Canna, Eigg, Muck, Rum)

Post by Russell » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Aodh

I was just looking over unanswered posts and realised that you might need to be a bit more specific to make folk want/need to get in touch.
Have you any particular brick walls or lost individuals you are trying to locate. That's the sort of problem we seem to do best on TalkingScot.
A more detailed request will often come up on Google etc and draw in another researcher who has not yet found TS. Several recent posts have worked that way.
This will bring your post up to the top again so.........fingers crossed :D

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Aodh

Post by Aodh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for the comments Russell. I was really just putting 'bait' out to see if I got a nibble. I was't looking for anything specific - no brick walls or lost individuals. I do have a copy of the 1764-65 church census for the parish of Small Isles, known as the "Eigg Roll", and I have identified a number of families, insluding many of my own, whose descendants came to Nova Scotia. I thought perhaps I might be able to identify others if I got some feedback on the post.
Researching:
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
and many more!

halldubbin

Post by halldubbin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:24 am

Our family have visited eigg since the 1960's. my grandfather who took his family their and then mum who took us and now i take my child x we love eigg. when i was doing my family tree. I got a birth certificate for my mums great grandmother and she was born in killian near skye. i decided to look into her parents and siblings. it turns out two of them george and isabella kirk were born on eigg and they lost a son david kirk. They lived on laig Eigg for close to ten years. From obviously knowing the islanders i wondered if this had any connection to the current kirk family and was amazed to find that we are inface blood releated. both sets of gr gr grandparents to my mother went their to drain the land at laig. The David kirk (brother to our ancestor george kirk. stayed on in eigg and so his family are still living on the island. just a wee story but if i can help with anything let me know xx

James Tabago

Post by James Tabago » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:42 pm

Hello
I have a John McLean (maclean) born about 1840 - 1860 marriage says Isle of Muck and 1911 census say Isle of Mull he married a Margaret Nicol in Gamrie (Banffshire) 1860 listed as fisherman. His parents given as John McLean and Sarah McCaskill, I'm presuming since he was born on either Mull or Muck that they were from there as well - I know never presume anything in this game!!!
Have you come across any of these folk?, thanks
J

Aodh

Post by Aodh » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:20 pm

James Tabago wrote:Hello
I have a John McLean (maclean) born about 1840 - 1860 marriage says Isle of Muck and 1911 census say Isle of Mull he married a Margaret Nicol in Gamrie (Banffshire) 1860 listed as fisherman. His parents given as John McLean and Sarah McCaskill, I'm presuming since he was born on either Mull or Muck that they were from there as well - I know never presume anything in this game!!!
Have you come across any of these folk?, thanks
J
Sorry but I can't help - all my folks were in Canada by that time. Perhaps someone else out there...
Researching:
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
and many more!

James Tabago

Post by James Tabago » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:47 am

Thank you for taking the time to reply and letting me know,
J

MLMacKay

Post by MLMacKay » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Aodh,
Just found your post. My GG-grandfather came to Cape Breton in 1828 with his parents, Donald and Christine McKay, and siblings. I've hit a brick wall, though, and haven't been able to go any further with this line. Any information you might have would be appreciated! Thank you!

Aodh

Post by Aodh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 am

I'm afraid you'll have to provide a little more info than that like what was your ancestors name, his sopuse, where did he live, etc.
Researching:
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
and many more!

TMSmith2016

Post by TMSmith2016 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:19 am

I have family from Isle of Rum who are MacKinnons. My third great-grandfather Lauchlin Beag MacKinnon was born in Isle of Rum 1799. I am doing my family tree so I know the need of knowledge of searching for ancestors. Lauchlin's parents were John and Nancy MacKinnon. That is all I have for now, I know that the spelling and dialect would probably be different from what I have.