Hugh Maxwell b. 1801 and Elizabeth Rodgers

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Nellish

Hugh Maxwell b. 1801 and Elizabeth Rodgers

Post by Nellish » Sat May 18, 2019 2:02 pm

Good morning. Looking for some ideas on how to dig up new clues in my search for Hugh Maxwell b. Est 1801, Glasgow, Lanark.

I've been able to document our line from Hugh Maxwell b. Est 1801 Glasgow (per 1841 census record) down to my grandfather George Maxwell b. 1893 Kilsyth - mostly thanks to Scotlands people. However, the record search for Hugh Maxwell's parents only turned up (what appeared to be) one solid lead. There is an 1802 birth record for Hugh Maxwel as son of Peter Maxwel and Ann Mason in Baldernock.

After spending quite a bit of time researching Peter Maxwell's line, I found a grave for Hugh (Maxwell) son of Peter dated 1817 at the Baldernock Church. This definitely seems to indicate I'm on the wrong path. Hugh Maxwell marries Elizabeth Rodgers in 1823 in Barony.

For the next few generations the family remains located in Kilsyth.

I'm stumped...any direction would be appreciated.

Nessie Ellish

WilmaM

Re: Hugh Maxwell b. 1801 and Elizabeth Rodgers

Post by WilmaM » Sat May 18, 2019 7:44 pm

Welcome to [talkingscot] Nessie,

I assume this is your family in 1841:
Piece: SCT1841/498 Place: Kirkintilloch -Dunbartonshire Enumeration District: 6
Civil Parish: Kirkintilloch Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Saint David's
Folio: 16 Page: 16
Address: Hillhead
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MAXWELL Hugh M 39 Cotton Hand Loom Weaver Outside Census County (1841)
MAXWELL Elizabeth F 30 England
MAXWELL John M 17 Dunbartonshire
MAXWELL Hugh M 9 Dunbartonshire
MAXWELL George M 7 Dunbartonshire
MAXWELL James M 4 Dunbartonshire
MAXWELL Robert M 2 Dunbartonshire
taken from freecen.
Curiously Scotlandspeople have the family indexed twice - under 498/ 6/ 15 and 498/ 7/ 15 .

I can see that family again on the 1851 New Town Kilsyth with 2 daughters alongside the sons.
Not obvious on the 1861.

There is a death for a Hugh MAXWELL in 1857 at Kilsyth aged 55 - have you checked that one? his parents' names should be noted if known to the informant.
Elizabeth Maxwell/Rodgers death is indexed in 1881 at Kilsyth, aged 64.

The only birth anywhere near his age is for a Hugh Bates Maxwell born in 1797 to William Maxwell & Isabella Watson, but he died in 1870 in Edinburgh.
Wilma