Looking for George - 1960s Glasgow singer

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Re: Looking for George - 1960s Glasgow singer

Post by Currie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:08 pm

Nice find Sally.

The Evening Times report https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=k ... %2C3585500

List of band members. No mention of a George and none of McBain either. There was probably a lot of chopping and changing. https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/opi ... oll-stars/

I wonder if the former band member mentioned there, (in 2013), knows anything?

Alan

Johnniemac

Post by Johnniemac » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:36 am

Hi Annette your onfo was about a shooting in 1962. George referred to a shooting at least a year earlier 1961 so sadly a dead en, this was not the singer Geoge referred to. There really could not be many dancehall singers called George in 1961 in a popular dancehall at that time, yet I cannot find ant reference of one hall that he was the lead singer. Guess this bwill not be resolved unless a detective angent is commissioned and that will not happen.

Thank you to all who have tried.

JohnnieMac.

Johnniemac

Post by Johnniemac » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:46 pm

Hello to all, I tried the friends of Flamingo dancehall site but found nothing. It still seems strange that the larger Glasgow dancehalls with bands and resident singers like George left little or no traceable record for when dancing to larger band and when the transition in music (not Jazz or hard rock like the smaller clubs) was really good jiving and glide dancing music, why is there little or no traceable records.

We simple hoped George survived the "end of the dancehall era" in the mid to end of the 60's and he hopefully went on with his career and life. Its like a great hole in my memory from 1958 to 1962 and its sad as you are only young once. If anything about dancehall comes to your mind that I could use I thank you.