Still looking for Leo.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

James Tabago

Still looking for Leo.....

Post by James Tabago » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:52 pm

Hello wonder if anyone can help
Leo Mooney?
We think birth name Thomas 15th Feb 1862 High Church Glasgow parents James Mooney and Bridget Welsh.
On 1871 Census aged 9 @ 94 High Street Glasgow with parents James & Bridget and Thomas now called 'Leo'.
'Leo' married on 12th January 1887 to Agnes Murray signed his name Leo Mooney parents James Mooney & Bridget Welsh
'Leo's occupation steamship stoker
They had two children James 1890 and Robert 1895 (my grandfather)
James birth certificate was signed by Leo mooney father Roberts was signed by his mother.
There is no sign of 'leo' on the 1881, 1891, 1901 census's and no death certificate for a Thomas or Leo. Had no luck searching crews lists either for 'Leo'
Family story he abandoned his wife and chidren and went to America, one of his sons James emigrated to Canada and on his marriage cerificate in 1918 he suddenly became James Leo Mooney with parents given as Leo Mooney and Agnes Murray of Scotland (have original). Is there anyone out there who can help me find this elusive 'Leo', where did he go after 1895? and where did he die, been searching for a number of years for 'Leo'
Thank you for taking time to read this
J

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:50 pm

Hullo James

Is it possible that Leo went off to Australia rather than America and founded another family there?

I ask because on the IGI there is a Leo Thomas MOONEY b. abt 1909 d. 10 Dec 1989. Unfortuanatley no parents are mentionned, only his wife Violet Mary Smith m 6 May 1931 in New South Wales.

There may be no connection at all, but it seems to me that it would be worth looking into.

All the best with your research.

Catriona

James Tabago

Post by James Tabago » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:06 pm

hello Catriona
Have checked and my leo was born 1862 and he was around in 1890 as he signed his fist sons birh certificate. I am only guessing but as his first son (James) went to Canada in 1917 there may have been some reason for that perhaps Leo had contacted him. Have also had a look for Canada but still no luck. thank you for taking the time to check the Leo Thomas on the IGI for me.
J

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:34 pm

Hello again, James

My thinking was that the Australian Leo Thomas MOONEY could perhaps be a son of your Leo, who seems to have disappeared after 1895.

Who knows?

Happy hunting

Catriona

nelmit

Re: Still looking for Leo

Post by nelmit » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:40 pm

James Tabago wrote:Hello wonder if anyone can help
Leo Mooney?
We think birth name Thomas 15th Feb 1862 High Church Glasgow parents James Mooney and Bridget Welsh.
On 1871 Census aged 9 @ 94 High Street Glasgow with parents James & Bridget and Thomas now called 'Leo'.
'Leo' married on 12th January 1887 to Agnes Murray signed his name Leo Mooney parents James Mooney & Bridget Welsh
'Leo's occupation steamship stoker
They had two children James 1890 and Robert 1895 (my grandfather)
James birth certificate was signed by Leo mooney father Roberts was signed by his mother.
There is no sign of 'leo' on the 1881, 1891, 1901 census's and no death certificate for a Thomas or Leo. Had no luck searching crews lists either for 'Leo'
Family story he abandoned his wife and chidren and went to America, one of his sons James emigrated to Canada and on his marriage cerificate in 1918 he suddenly became James Leo Mooney with parents given as Leo Mooney and Agnes Murray of Scotland (have original). Is there anyone out there who can help me find this elusive 'Leo', where did he go after 1895? and where did he die, been searching for a number of years for 'Leo'
Thank you for taking time to read this
J
Hello J,

There's good news and better news (perhaps) but I'm afraid we won't know till next week sometime. :D

I have found a 1901 poorhouse application for Agnes Murray Mooney.
I also found two applications from Bridget Welsh Mooney - one in 1883 and one in 1886. It shows her birth year to be around 1835 in County Mayo.

Unfortunately there was 'no production' in the archives today so no access to the actual records but I will return, hopefully within the week, and get the info from them.

Kind regards,
Annette M

James Tabago

Post by James Tabago » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:19 pm

Hello Annette
Thank you so very much for that, the info I have on Agnes Murray Mooney is born 1863 @ 100 Saltmarket Glasgow parents Edward Murray (Cab driver) & Catherine McDade. Agnes died in 1933. On 1901 census two sons James 11 and Robert 6 (my grandfather). I don't have any info on Bridget Welsh Mooney other than the info on marriage certificate of 1861 to James Mooney. I have never been able to find a death certificate for either James or Bridget.
I can't thank you enough for checking things out for me. If there is anything I can do then please let me know. I live in Banff Aberdeenshire and can check local cemetaires, churches, local library, papers etc. if you ever need that done. I admit to being quite excited about the prospect of new information on these folks its been such a long time since I have moved forward with them. Thank you again
J

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:34 pm

James Tabago wrote:Hello Annette
Thank you so very much for that, the info I have on Agnes Murray Mooney is born 1863 @ 100 Saltmarket Glasgow parents Edward Murray (Cab driver) & Catherine McDade. Agnes died in 1933. On 1901 census two sons James 11 and Robert 6 (my grandfather). I don't have any info on Bridget Welsh Mooney other than the info on marriage certificate of 1861 to James Mooney. I have never been able to find a death certificate for either James or Bridget.
I can't thank you enough for checking things out for me. If there is anything I can do then please let me know. I live in Banff Aberdeenshire and can check local cemetaires, churches, local library, papers etc. if you ever need that done. I admit to being quite excited about the prospect of new information on these folks its been such a long time since I have moved forward with them. Thank you again
J
Hello J,

I'm just back from The Mitchell and I need a cuppa before I type it all up and post.

I'm really hopeful that you may be able to find your Leo / James on SP.

Be back soon,
Annette M

PS Just call me Sherlock. :lol:

nelmit

Agnes's Story

Post by nelmit » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:24 pm

Blue = original statement.
Red= added after investigating case.

Application for Leo Mooney's wife Agnes Murray
Address 69 Bain Street 3 up left Gallougher
Date 21/9/01
Place of birth - 100 Saltmarket, Glasgow, 8/4/63 per clyde Birth Reg. No 342/63

Age 38 (34 had been scored out)
Condition Deserted Occ. Wash Store Worker Religion RC

Where and when married 12 Jan 1887 by Rev. M. McGinn in St. Alphonsus RC Chapel, extract seen

Wholly disabled Dyspepsia
Means 6/- to 7/- a week

Parentage Edward Murray, Cabman and Catherine McDade both dead. 1.27.338

Husband Leo Mooney born High Street Glasgow, 34 years. Marine engineer, RC. Son of James Mooney, Ship's Fireman and Bridget Welsh both in America. 4.72.319 and 4.66.193.

Dependents James, born 3/1/90 at 98 Gallowgate
Robert, born 30/5/95 at 69 Bain Street

Husband goes under the name of James Mooney.

Dennistoun births searched 1860-70 not found.
St. Rollox searched 1863 - 67 not found

Residence Present lodgings 6 years proved by sister Mrs. Gallougher.

Applies for outdoor relief. Husband deserted her about 7 years ago and his present whereabouts are unknown. He goes to sea and on that account is more difficult to locate. He was in Glasgow 2 years ago but did not then resume cohabitation.
Applicant is employed by Mess. John Stewart and Co. Rag Store, 29 Chalmers St. Earns 6/- - 7/- weekly.

Decent case. House very clean and tidy. Mrs. Gallougher is applicants sister.
25.1.01 Poorhouse

It then lists the many docks searched by the Mercantile Marine Offices looking for Leo.
It ends
- 12/10/01 unable to assist further.(Marine Office)

Annette M

Catherine's and Bridget's stories to follow.

nelmit

1881 Census

Post by nelmit » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:13 pm

I'm sure you'll have these but I thought I'd post them anyway.

Dwelling: 9 Mc Pherson Street
Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203646 GRO Ref Volume 644-5 EnumDist 40 Page 25
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
James MOONEY M 35 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Labourer In Foundry
Bridget MOONEY M 42 F Ireland
Rel: Wife
COODIE M 50 F Ireland
Rel: Lodger
Occ: Housekeeper

Dwelling: 9 Mc Pherson Street
Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203646 GRO Ref Volume 644-5 EnumDist 40 Page 24
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
MURRAY W 50 F Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Wool Picker
Agnes MURRAY U 18 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Wool Picker
Agnes MC DADE U 52 F Ireland
Rel: Sister
Occ: House Keeper

Annette M

James Tabago

Post by James Tabago » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:11 pm

Hello Annette
What a wonder you are, my great grandmother jumping out at me as I was reading the information. How on earth can I thank you. I will check later today re the dates and ages on the marriage certificates and get back to you. If my memory serves ages at marriage for James 18 & Bridget 30 (can't be sure if its a 20 or a 30 on certifcate from SP) so excited I can hardly type!! Leo & Agnes both 21. I will confirm this evening. Again thank you so much you have made my day, and my dad is going to be over the moon, you have at last given us a glimpse of what happened to Leo.
J