Lost Ancestors.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

puffin

Lost Ancestors

Post by puffin » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:44 am

Hi Heather,

Jack has been helpful with these extracts but I need to add to this board, and you will already know this, that the James Lyon / Barbara Leag marriage at Pitsligo on Dec. 9th 1822 is that of my 3G Grandfather. My 2G grandfather (also James Lyon) was born c 1823-5 in King Edward Parish ( from census data ) but we have found no record yet of his birth.
On his death cert. of 1901 his mother is named as Barbara Legg, his father is not named, perhaps because as he never knew his father ( see below regarding his possible death c 1825 ) that information was not passed on to his family for the future record.
Barbara Legg remarried on 28/4/1828, also at Pitsligo, to a George Finnie, and her death cert. of 14/4/1879 indicates previously widow of james Lyon. So from that it would appear that my 3G grandfather James Lyon died soon after the birth of his son James, and his wife Barbara then remarried within a few years.
So, whilst we are both seeking similar data in a similar era and geographical area, this board should need to know that there are two " Lyon " hunts taking place, and that you and I have been exchanging information for a year or so where that has been helpful.

See also similar thread for my hunt for William Walker Lyon

I hope this is not too confusing for those trying to help us out

Puffin
( Richard Lyon )

Jack

Re: Lost Ancestors

Post by Jack » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:35 pm

Thanks Richard,

I thought i'd seen the 1822 Pitsligo marriage mentioned somewhere - i should read all posts more carefully! Glad that it's sorted out.

Hi Heather, the censuses come from the same site that Drew & Richard are probably using - FreeCEN. I've now put it on my desktop as i'd been forgetting about it all too often; it is very useful.

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Wishing you both success in your search.

Jack