Patrick Casey - Margaret Connelly.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

harleysinger

Patrick Casey - Margaret Connelly.....

Post by harleysinger » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:54 am

Hi Guys
This is my first post here. Thanks for having me!
This is the information that I got from "scotlandspeople.gov.uk".

My GGGG GRANDFATHER WAS -

"JOHN CUMMISKEY" (FARMER) b APPROX 1790 - 1800 MARRIED SARAH CARR, LIVED IN CALTON AREA OF GLASGOW.

HIS SON –

"HUGH CUMMISKEY" (MASTER SLIPPERMAKER) b 1826 MARRIED MARY GARDNER, LIVED IN CALTON.

HIS SON –

"MATTHEW CUMMISKEY" (SLIPPERMAKER) b 1847 MARRIED AGNES LIVINGSTON, LIVED IN CALTON.

HIS SON -

"JAMES CUMMISKEY" (IRON MOULDER) b 1877 MARRIED AGNES McDIVITT, LIVED IN EDINBURGH.

His Daughter is my Grandmother (Agnes Cummiskey Casey) Died 10th March 2005 (96 years old) Who was Married to my Grandfather "James Casey"
1905 - 1967. I have had no luck tracing my paternal Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother (Patrick Casey m Margaret Connelly). I think because they were born in Ireland. But My Grandfather's birth certificate says that they married in Lochee, Dundee in 1902... Can't seem to trace their married cert! Has anyone any idea what I should do now?
Would appriciate any advice! Thanks.
Last edited by harleysinger on Thu May 26, 2005 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
harleysinger... Make me smile!
Carr,Casey,Connelly,Croall,Cummiskey,Gilliland,Holmes,McDivitt,Roache.
Castlemilk In The News web site - History and links
http://www.geocities.com/harleysinger/index.html

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:36 am

Hi Harleysinger

Welcome to TalkingScot! I decided to have a quick peek at Scotland's People website to see if I might find your missing marriage. It was a little tricky as the spelling is a bit off but I think it is there. If you had used wildcards to help broaden your search parameters you would have found it in no time!! I ended up going with CAS* and CON* and no first names in a wider year range. Only two came up and only one can be yours.....in 1902 in Angus. Hope this helps!

Good luck in your continued searching....

Jean

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:01 am

Harleysinger

There was definitely someone on the presently suspended GROS scotlandspeople discussion group who was researching this surname. Was that you, or someone else?

Davie

harleysinger

Post by harleysinger » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:55 pm

Hi Jean
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your excellent tip! I found them!
Great news because I was at my wits end thinking I couldn't get the next link. The surname spelling did have an extra 's' in it tho'. Now I have my GG Grandfather and Mother's names to go on. You can tell that I'm just learning eh! :D see I'm beaming now!

Yes Davie it probably was me... I've posted on so many Gen sites that I've lost track! But thanks to Jean I've got to the next step. Now I have to head for Ireland. The place of their birth.
You see, My father was an only son and had five daughters. (I'm the middle one) So there are no more "Casey's" to carry on the name.
It is important to me to find out more about my roots!

Thank you again Jean! Will keep you updated if I get any more info... As you know it is quite a long process.
Take care guys! :lol: :D You've made me smile Jean!

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:37 am

harleysinger wrote:Hi Jean
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your excellent tip! I found them!
Great news because I was at my wits end thinking I couldn't get the next link. The surname spelling did have an extra 's' in it tho'. Now I have my GG Grandfather and Mother's names to go on. You can tell that I'm just learning eh! :D see I'm beaming now!

Yes Davie it probably was me... I've posted on so many Gen sites that I've lost track! But thanks to Jean I've got to the next step. Now I have to head for Ireland. The place of their birth.
You see, My father was an only son and had five daughters. (I'm the middle one) So there are no more "Casey's" to carry on the name.
It is important to me to find out more about my roots!

Thank you again Jean! Will keep you updated if I get any more info... As you know it is quite a long process.
Take care guys! :lol: :D You've made me smile Jean!
Hi again Harleysinger.....surprised you're not singing instead of smiling :lol: It is so nice to hear that the marriage certificate had the parents names so the search can go on. Good luck in Ireland cause I think you're gonna need it!!! I myself have some kin from Ulster and I've not had a lot of success in finding mine. Here's hoping you'll be \:D/ in the streets along with your :D

Take care
Jean

harleysinger

Help! Again.

Post by harleysinger » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:27 pm

Hi Guys
Sorry to be a pest!
But Has anyone got any info on how to find a birth record in Ireland?
Difficulty being that I don't know where in Ireland to look. (Think it could be Southern tho') I'm trying to Trace my Grandfather's birth record
Patrick Casey b 1882 (Father's name James Casey (Labourer), Mother's name Mary Roache).
Patrick married Margaret Connelly in Lochee Dundee in 11/04/1902.
(Margaret's parent's were - "James Connelly" married "Moran Croall").
My mum says she remember's them with Irish accents when they stayed with my Gran. Patrick and Margaret both died in the late 1950's in the Shettleston area of Glasgow... That's why I can't get any documents of their deaths. cos "Scotlandspeople.com" is only up to 1955.
I would appriciate any hint and tips...websites etc to look for.
Thank you again.

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:55 am

Do you know if Patrick had any siblings? Reason I ask is that a James Casey married a Mary Roach in Bridgeton, Glasgow in 1871 and produced a daughter, Alice, also in 1871.

Dwelling: 31 Greenvale Street
Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203633 GRO Ref Volume 644-2 EnumDist 3 Page 4
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
James CASEY M 50 M Ireland
Rel: Head
Occ: Rag Store Labourer
Mary CASEY M 36 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Occ: Winder
Alice CASEY 10 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
Mary CASEY 2 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Andrew MONAGHAN M 37 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Brother In Law
Occ: Cork Cutter
Andrew MONAGHAN 14 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Nephew

There is probably no connection but there can't have been too many Casey/Roache splicings.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

harleysinger

Casey/Roache

Post by harleysinger » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:23 am

Hi Andy
Thanks! But I don't know if he had any siblings, this is what I really want to find out too, because Patrick's son James (my grandfather) had only one sister (Ellen) and his son (James, an only son) my dad had five daughters. So no more "Casey's from this side of the family. I am trying to find out if "Patrick or his father James had any (male) siblings that were able to carry on the "Casey" name. It could be possible that they "James and Mary" married in Glasgow, but I do know that their son Patrick and his wife both had Irish accents, because my mum met them when she married my Dad. They both lived until the mid 1950's. I know that still is not verifying anything. Thanks Andy will try and look into that one anyway!
ps: Do you know that Patrick was born in 1882 so would not have been on the record at that time!

Rosey

Irish Birth Certificate

Post by Rosey » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:45 pm

Hi Harleysinger

You mentioned -

"I'm trying to Trace my Grandfather's birth record Patrick Casey b 1882 (Father's name James Casey (Labourer), Mother's name Mary Roache)."

If you are unsure whether Patrick was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland then you should apply to the General Register Office (GRO) in Dublin for the certificate as they hold all Irish records pre 1922. Although the GRO in Belfast also has birth records back to when registration began in 1864, they only hold details of the 6 counties that currently form the province of Northern Ireland.

Take a look at the Irish GRO site at http://www.groireland.ie which should give the information you require.

Problem is, you will need more information before you can order the certificate.

I see from the FamilySearch site that the Family History Library has the following Irish records filmed - Civil registration indexes 1864–1958 for births and deaths, 1845–1958 for marriages; some birth, marriage and death certificates.

Have a word with your local Family History Centre. If you could order the film to cover the appropriate time frame then you might be able to identify the birth on the indexes and apply for the certificate....... I must warn you, however, that Patrick Casey is likely to be a common name in Ireland !!

Rosey
Researching -
ALEXANDER and BROWN - Glasgow area (originally from Ireland)
AITKEN (AITKIN, ATKINS) - Dalkeith
CHRISTIE and MARTIN - Forfar
MEEK - Kircardine/Aberdeen/Forfar
BEATTIE - Kircardine

harleysinger

Post by harleysinger » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:32 am

Thanks Rosey!
Will try to follow this with advice from you... "Patrick Casey" is like looking for a needle in a haystack, in Ireland... :?