The name: "Ina", Aberdeen, 1902.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

mesklin

Post by mesklin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:12 pm

Unfortunate Inas?

There is a Davina McColl on UK TV. Though I've never come across an Archibaldina, Cunninghamina or Nugentina. All possibles from my male ancestors.

Let us hope that, if anyone has the notion, the registrar has a little 'chat' with them...

Dave

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:39 pm

Dave,
I would never dream of naming any of my children after a male and adding ina to the end of it.

I grew up hating the name Williamina (named after g granny). I had to sign every legal paper as Williamina. As a result when I became a US citizen I legally changed my name to Ina........finally got rid of the William.

Just Ina :D

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:56 pm

Well, I've never had an 'ina' bit.

Called after my Father, Grand Father [ and 3 great-uncles, yes Davie them again :o ]

I went through the usual run of nicknames but am now most commonly called "MMM-UUUUU-MMMM" :roll:
Wilma

HK

Post by HK » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:13 pm

My sister Williamina is happy with her name and who she is named for so not all namesakes are bad.She shortens her name to Billie but if you really want to shake your head her husband is Wiz. :lol:
HK

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:04 pm

Hi Folks,

Many of us know an Ina, and it got me looking at some census indexes. There are quite a few - most popular is Christina.
Some are rather obscure, so possibly transcribed wrongly?
--
Argina
Blandina
Bolina
Clytina
Dinalina
Everina
Sherina
--
Some others not seen too often were.
--
Archimina........[specially for Dave]
Arthurina
Augustina
Benjamina
Charleszina
Constantina
Davidtina
Emulina
Ernina
Flemingtina
Jullianina
Justina..........[now who is just Ina?]
Laurina
Rossina
Semlina........[this for Davie W]
---------
Plenty choice JayPee - and these are only a few of them.... All the names you first mentioned are there (except Jeremina - but didn't look at all indexes), so in reality you could start with any of them - not an easy task.

You're original query has certainly branched out a wee bit, and before it goes much further - BCs are only available up to 1904 on Scotlandspeople at present.

As you say it might need to be "*ina" for the forename, and by far, the most popular "Ina" is Christina. So maybe searches with letters other than "C" to start with, then if nothing turns up then it would need to be "C*ina".... Remember you may need *wildcards* on surname too if it could be spelled in different ways.

If you're pretty sure of the area where born it would certainly narrow things down - but mind you only have up to 1904. Beyond this you'd need to have someone visit New Register House, Edinburgh to go through later years.
Not certain if *wildcards* can be used at NRH, but i'm sure a TS member will know the score on this.

Jack

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:36 pm

Jack wrote:Hi Folks,

Many of us know an Ina, and it got me looking at some census indexes. There are quite a few - most popular is Christina.
Some are rather obscure, so possibly transcribed wrongly?

.....snipped ...............

Jack
Amazing :!: and will feature in my various lectures :lol:

How did you generate these?, - a wildcard in the 1881 census CD search?.........
Semlina........[this for Davie W]
Groannnnn........... =D>

Davie

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:43 pm

Can you believe I found one more on an immigration list to Boston......

Rubinina

Will it ever end??????

Jean

HK

Post by HK » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:54 pm

Rubinina was probably Robinina.I've come across quite a few of those.My Mother-in-laws father was Jacque so I guess she's lucky to be Ellen. :lol:
HK

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:08 pm

Hi Davie,

They were taken from 1841 & 1851 Glasgow or Renfrewshire censuses. Just a wildcard with "*ina"
I'm quite sure there are a few more to be found....
--

Hi Jean,

Will it ever end? Probably not! I noticed Bobina, Levina, & Neilina too....

Jack

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:46 pm

Jack wrote:They were taken from 1841 & 1851 Glasgow or Renfrewshire censuses. Just a wildcard with "*ina"
.....snippped.............
That's what I thought would have been the method, just wasn't sure on the source !!

Davie