Am I on the right Track?.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

karenmcc

Am I on the right Track?.....

Post by karenmcc » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:41 am

Hi all,

I am still trying to work out if I am on the right track with my GGgrandfather, William Hay. Have now found him on the 1871 census (I'm pretty sure it's the right one), but this was not very helpful as he is 15 by this time, and out working, not with family.

Working backwards, this is what I have discovered:

1900 His daughter, Mary marries and he is listed as still alive (although I suppose she may not have known)

1881 He signed his wifes, Janet Burnside, death record.(Muirkirk)

1881 census(Muirkirk), name recorded as William Haye, age 24, place of birth Kelton Kirkcudbright.

1879 Daughter Mary born, William signed birth register.(Muirkirk)

1879 Marriage to Janet Burnside, (muirkirk) age 21, parents William Hay(dec.) Jane Hay ms Hannah.

1871 census Girthon. Age 15, Farm servant living in household of William Welsh. Place of birth Crossmichael.

1856 Jan 3, birth. Loch parish of Parton, Distict of Corsock Bridge, Kirkcudbright. Mother Jane Hay. Grandmother Marion Hannah.

Some of information is a bit conflicting, but I know the marriage is the right one, which leads me to believe I have the right birth (and someone, whether it was him or his mother has made up a bit of a story about his father)

I just don't feel I have enough proof to claim Alexander Hay and Marion Hannah as his grandparents, which is a shame, as a bit of a search on SP has lead me to believe I could probably go back a bit further with this pair.

Karen McCubbin.

(Just thought this was an interesting bit of trivia, listed below William in the 1871 census was an orphan living with the Welsh family named "Oliver Twist", written with the quotation marks as I have it.)

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:53 pm

Hi Karen

This one is a bit complicated isn't it :( Did you notice on the birth extract of William Hay mother Janet Hay and Informant Marrion Hannah (Grandmother) that directly below there is an entry for the birth of a Margaret Hay - mother Marion Hay and informant is Marion Hannah (Grandmother) and the signature is identical. Both children are illegitimate. There is a marriage of an Alexander Hay and Marion Hannay for 27 Juy 1832 Balmaclellan, Kirkcudbright on the IGI and it is an extracted entry. There are also a births of Marion and Jane (and Jane is living at home with her father (unmarried) aged 34 on the 1871 census) listed in the IGI. So my guess is that Marion and Jane are sisters and that grandma preferred to use her maiden name. I may be wrong but it might be worth your looking into.

Good luck and keep us posted

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

karenmcc

Post by karenmcc » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:37 am

Hi Annette,

Thanks for your reply. It's exactly the same conclusion I have come to.

My biggest problem is that I am a single mother with three young boys so I don't get out much and don't have the time to join any sort of genealogical societies, so I don't have the opportunity to discuss my findings with anyone who is interested, and I'm all the way over in Australia. So I feel as though I am floundering around in the dark.

On the surface, I think my findings all match up (even allowing for the slight inconsistancies) but as the names Hay and Hannah(y) are quite common, I still have my doubts.

The other line from my family that I followed back (the Lochiel's, with a lot of help from the old SP discussion group), was a very uncommon name, so it was very easy to be sure I had the right people.

I think what I am really asking for is for one of the resident experts to pick my theory apart, and as no one has done that, I will tentatively follow this line (keeping in mind that I may be on the wrong track).

Karen McCubbin