Post by JustJean » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:09 pm

Hi Experts….got another one for you! HENDERSON….in 1851 census we have:

Whitelaw Land
Joseph HENDERSON head M age 49 grocer b. Ireland
Martha HENDERSON wife M age 30 b. Dumfries
Sarah HENDERSON dau. Un age 20 power loom weaver b. Ireland
Joseph HENDERSON son Un age 2 b. Lanark, Maryhill
Samuel HENDERSON son Un age 2 mos. B. Lanark, Maryhill

From this I can only assume that Joseph Sr. is on his second (at least) marriage with Sarah being his daughter but not likely Martha’s daughter. (Unless the ages are total fabrications!)

The IGI has extensive submittals for one Sarah HENDERSON born Saintfield, County Down to Joseph HENDERSON and Jennat (Janet etc.) MCILVAIN (and a whole interesting plethora of spellings on that one!), Married to Robert MITCHELL, at least 10 children born between 1851 and 1868. Husband dying in 1872 Dalry and finally Sarah’s demise in Utah in the US early 1900’s.

My question being…..how can I prove or disprove the Sarah living in Maryhill for the census is the same Sarah marrying Robert MITCHELL later that year??? :-k Since the marriage was 18 July 1851 there are no images available but it wouldn't show parents names or whether they were living anyway. The ages are all within range, the names of Sarah’s children are believeable, the father’s name is the same, the place of birth fits…..but still no proof! [-(

I should add that Joseph’s Sr’s death at age 76 is 23 April 1876 in Maryhill and son Samuel the informant. He doesn’t happen to mention any previous wives but then…he might just not have known the details what with the dramatic age differences.

The only thing I have not been able to check is the 1851 Census for other possible Joseph HENDERSON/Sarah HENDERSON family units living in or near New Kilpatrick. Is this possible to check now or am I still waiting for SP to come online??....and…..if no others should be found….where would that leave me???

Sure would be nice to find an easy one for a change….. :roll:

Jean

nelmit

Robert Mitchell 1855

Post by nelmit » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:58 pm

Hello Jean,

Robert MITCHELL and Sarah HENDERSON had a son Robert in 1855.

If you look at the entry it will tell you Sarah's age and place of birth and while it may not prove it is definitely your Sarah it could tell you it isn't.

Hope that makes sense.

Annette M

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:42 pm

Hi Annette

Thanks for the tip. Did that already though. It was a wonderful BC with the correct marriage date and place of birth of Sarah as Saintfield, County Down and that they had one son deceased and 2 children living. Only odd piece was what looked like Robert's birth being her 5 child. Not too good with the math sometimes but the most I can get is 4...unless of course she may have had a child before marriage that died????....anyhow....it was nice but not conclusive.

I think I need to see either my Joseph HENDERSON once married to a Janet McILVAIN (whatever) or some of this Sarah's kids calling my Joseph "Grampa"..... :roll:.....or another family living in the area in 1851 with a Joseph, Janet, and Sarah all living in one family unit.....

Jean

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:13 pm

Hi Jean,

There are no Joseph / Janet / Sarah HENDERSON combinations anywhere in Glasgow or Dunbartonshire in 1851.

For what it's worth there is a 23yr old Robert MITCHELL at Maryhill 1851 (604 Ed 1 p 17). Parents probably Thomas & Jane.

Jack

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:52 pm

Hi Jack

That settles it then...I still don't have proof but something tells me the odds are in my favor. I've got a great eraser just in case.....but for the moment....they have been penciled in!!

Is there some formula for how much intuition counts in genealogy???? And no...I don't want any lectures from you professionals out there :wink:

Thanks so much Jack!
Jean