George Hunter - Stuck on you.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

grannysrock

George Hunter - Stuck on you.....

Post by grannysrock » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:21 pm

Hi talking scots
Before the queries come flooding in from the soon to be SP link.. I'll sneak this one in.
](*,)

George HUNTER, shoemaker/bootmaker died 1 July 1891 at Leith Hospital, usual residence Couper Street ,, N° Leith .
On his death cert, age given as 71 . Parents given as George HUNTER and Elizabeth HOWIE, informant son Robert.

All census data for George ( 1851-1891) consistently state he was born Kirkcaldy and point to a birth year of 1819 ( or 1st qtr 1820).

so i'm happy with his age at death.

But I've never found any other evidence of the stated parents...no marriage , no births to them , nothing ..
I would love some proof that these people existed , or to prove that Robert was wrong ( ie find the right parents)
Have looked at a zillion George Hunter and Elizabeth Hunter deaths - nothing close.
Can't find a cross match for Elizabeth Howie / Hunter.
I know that not everybody was registered in those days and that the parents could have died pre 1855 - but I'd expect to find some "residue". Another worrying factor is that Howie is Robert's mother-in -law's name .

Now what else can I tell you ..

George married Janet HUNTER ( yes same name - could they be cousins? )in Alloa, Feb 1844.
Both are described as "of this parish". How long one has to be in a place to be "of" it , I don't know..

Janet was the daughter of Robert HUNTER ( innkeeper/spirit dealer , deid before 1851 , so stuck with his ancestry an'all) and Janet TULLOCH .

I have tried on 2 separate occasions to read the 1841 census for Alloa and I could read less than 50 percent I'd say. It's too faded. I didn't find any of my Hunters . I know that 1841 Kirkcaldy got lost, so can't check that either.

There is a George Hunter born 1819 in Kirkcaldy to a George HUNTER and Catherine AITKEN - but I can't see how to make a connection to this family.

You might want to know the names and order of George and Janet's children

George c 1844 Alloa
Janet c 1846 Alloa
Robert chr 6/8/1848 Canongate
William c 1850 Edinburgh
Agnes c 1852 Canongate
William c 1854 South Leith
Mary 27/10/1856 South Leith
Helen 02/10/1858 Edinburgh
James Gale 19/11/1860 Canongate
Alfred Tulloch 18/10/1865 North Leith

As you can see no Elizabeth or Catherine - nor was there on any of the censuses.
and although only one pre 1855 child was found in the indexes there isn't
much "room" to have had one who died before statutory reg started.

Do the middle names tell me anything? I assume that Alfred Tulloch is someone on Janet's side. James Gale could be relevant. I did find a James Gale in Alloa who married a Kirkcaldy born Grace Aitken - which kind of fitted in with the Catherine Aitken as mother theory - but there's no way to take this further I think.

I have looked at neighbouring houses to all my HUnter's - I have found 2 sisters of Janet this way, but no-one I could relate to George.
Have tried to find possible siblings for George - ie Hunters born Kirkcaldy living in Alloa or Edinburgh/leith ...

I have looked ar Weavers records in Kirkcaldy library - found nothing which helps me.
I have looked at published MI's - nothing .

What's left ? - Please help me to think up a list of things to look up for my next trip home . :idea: :idea: :idea:

Or should I give it up ? ... I can't - its my own surname after all ...
:oops:

Its a bit long this post isn't it . Sorry

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;
Edin.-JOHNSTON, MONTGOMERY;Fife-SIME, FORRESTER, WANLESS

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:49 pm

Hi Sally

Just had a quick look at George's death certificate and I read the maiden name of Elizabeth to be Hardie but I may well be wrong. Like you I found the marriage to Catherine Aitken on 23/4/1804 at Kinghorn with a list of children including George but can't substantiate it is the right marriage. I haven't looked at the Hardie possibilities yet but it might be worth taking a look.

Good luck with it

Cheers

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

Scottishlass

Post by Scottishlass » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:52 pm

HUNTER, Robert Christening
Birth Date: 25 May 1848
Christening Date: 6 Aug 1848 Recorded in: Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Collection: Canongate
Father: George HUNTER
Mother: Janet HUNTER
Source: FHL Film 1067747 Dates: 1811 - 1855

is this any connection

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:57 pm

Thanks Annette , I probably should have mentioned that - buit it was so long a post already .. I did originally read it as Harvie too , but after having studied the registrars writing ( I have other certs by him ) I came to the conclusion it was Howie . Either way , I have searced for Howie, Harvie, Hardie , Harlie sounding names pretty much everything that begins with H :cry: and more..

Thanks for replying

Sally
Newhaven-DRYBURGH,NICOLL,HUNTER(+Alloa) ; Lesmahagow-MITCHELL,LAMB, BARR, BROWN,CALLAN; Comrie-MCDOUGALL, MCEWEN, MCLAREN, BRYSON; BEW - PRINGLE, FISHER,SPENCE;Edzell-MIDDLETON,DORWARD;

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:09 pm

Thanks ScottishLass
I had Robert's christening date from the IGI online - but I didn't have the actual birthdate - is the birth date on the disk version ?
It's interesting you point it out because Robert is the only one of the kids pre 1855 that I have found a baptism for. On the same day at the same church , his cousin Isabella Rennie (on the maternal side) was baptised ... Do you think they got a family discount ?
:lol:

Sally

Scottishlass

Post by Scottishlass » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:32 pm

Yes there are some on CD I got this from the cd at LDS's vital records

Scottishlass

Post by Scottishlass » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:36 pm

RANNIE, Isabella Christening
Birth Date: 16 Jul 1848
Christening Date: 6 Aug 1848 Recorded in: Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Collection: Canongate
Father: David RANNIE
Mother: Jane HUNTER
Source: FHL Film 1067747 Dates: 1811 - 1855

also listed as only child

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:44 pm

grannysrock wrote:Thanks Annette , I probably should have mentioned that - buit it was so long a post already .. I did originally read it as Harvie too , but after having studied the registrars writing ( I have other certs by him ) I came to the conclusion it was Howie . Either way , I have searced for Howie, Harvie, Hardie , Harlie sounding names pretty much everything that begins with H :cry: and more..

Thanks for replying

Sally
Sally

You have the advantage over us in the sense of having other examples of the hand of this registrar :!:

I don't think that it's "Har...." if you look at the "ar" as he writes that combination elsewhere.

On the other hand there's an "ow" elsewhere on the page which is a bit different ..........

Put up against a wall and a gun pointed at me I go for Howie, but only on a provisional basis :shock:

Davie

grannysrock

howie the heckie ..

Post by grannysrock » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:28 pm

Thanks David , Scottish Lass and Annette

I've just posted the George Hunter death reg. :

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-120

unfortunately I forgot to put a description :oops:
and I don't see how to edit it. I'm an upload "newbie" ....

On this one , a much earlier example , the H"s are much fancier
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-121

but you can see the w in Howie ( maiden name of Elizabeth Smith's mother ) - and that is verifiable as her surname.

Either way , I cannae find any trace of Elizabeth H****.

Sally

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:41 pm

Looking at the two certificates, I agree with HOWIE for the surname. In George's death certificate, compare the "w" in Howie withe the "w" in the informant's address, Lawnmarket. In my mind the "w"s are one and the same.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson