Robert Campbell Pollock

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

pwright

Robert Campbell Pollock

Post by pwright » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:17 am

I have been trying to find information on the parents of Robert Campbell Pollock who was born 8 Dec 1841 in Holytown, Scotland to John Pollock and Elizabeth Campbell. Robert married Jane Sinclair in Bothwell, Scotland on 25 Apr 1862. They moved to the US about 1864. Robert's occupation was listed as miner.

Robert's parents were listed as being married 6 Sep 1835 in Old Monkland.

Any information/direction is greatly appreciated.

Paul W.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:29 am

Hello, Paul, and a warm welcome to Talking Scot! [scotland-flag]
I'm wondering whether you have obtained Robert's marriage certificate (you can download it for a fee from the Scotland's People site-- a link at the top of this page). If so, then his parents' names and occupations should be given. It will be easier to trace his father back in the censuses if we know his occupation.

A possible household is this one, in 1861, but it would help to know if he might have been a stone mason:

Name: John Pollock
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name : Elizabeth
Where born: Boness, Linlithgow
Registration district: Old Monkland Eastern District
Civil parish: Old Monkland
County: Lanarkshire
Address: Woodhall Bridge (row)

Household Members:
Catherine Borthgate 28
Archd McNeill 8 Mo
Ann Pollock 11
Elizabeth Pollock 48
Jane Pollock 18
John Pollock 57
John Pollock 8
Walter Pollock 16

Note: You won't find the marriage registered in Bothwell. By playing with the search function on Scotland's People I saw that the only such marriage in 1862 took place in Holytown, Lanark.
Good luck!
Sarah

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:15 am

Weeelllll.... Looks like John was a man of many talents :shock: This appears to be the family in 1851. It seems to correspond to the one who was a stone mason in 1861, and this time Robert is in the household:

Name: John Pollock
Relationship: Head
Where born: Bo'ness, Linlithgow
Civil parish: Old Monkland
Town: Maggies Haugh
County: Lanarkshire
Address: Woodhall Bridge

Household Members:
Ann Pollock 1
Elizabeth Pollock 39
Elizabeth Pollock 12
Jane Pollock 8
John Pollock 40
Robert Pollock 9
Walter Pollock 6

All the best,
Sarah

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:42 am

SarahND wrote:Note: You won't find the marriage registered in Bothwell. By playing with the search function on Scotland's People I saw that the only such marriage in 1862 took place in Holytown, Lanark.
Holytown was a quoad sacra parish within the civil parish of Bothwell, so no problem there.

All the best,

AndrewP

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:04 am

Hello Paul,

Just in case you're not aware of it there's someone interested in young Walter Pollock at this link http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi? ... I509484553

A search of that site for Pollock born Boness brings up a Samuel Pollock born 1846 to Thomas Pollock and Marion Noble. Might be useful if you later find a connection to yours.

Bo'Ness seems to have been a popular place for Pollock's. If you search the IGI for Pollock events in West Lothian you'll get about 400 results about a quarter of which took place in Bo'Ness.

Hope this helps,
Alan

Southpaw

Post by Southpaw » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi Paul

John Pollock was born in Bo'ness about 1801. He died Aug. 6, 1876 in Holytown at the age of 75. His occupation was given at that time as farmer. Parents are shown as Walter Pollock, labourer (deceased) and Jane Pollock, M.S. McKay (deceased). Witness is his son John. Cause of death is given as falling over a precipice into the Calder Water near his own house. There is also an RCE that elaborates on the cause of death.

Elizabeth Campbell was born in Kirkconnel, Dumfries about 1810. She died November 17, 1878 at the age of 68. Parents are shown as James Campbell, blacksmith, journeyman (deceased) and Elizabeth Campbell, M.S. Gibson (deceased). Cause of death apoplexy. Again the witness is son John.

The census records provided by Sarah are indeed of this family. There are significant discrepancies in the ages given for John Pollock over the years.

The young Walter Pollock referred to by Alan is my great grandfather and the Rootsweb link is indeed of his family (including me although it was posted by my daughter-in-law's father, not by me.)

I haven't looked at this part of my family genealogy for some time. I will do some homework and see what other information I may be able to provide.

What is your interest in Pollock's generally? Perhaps there is other information we can share.

Southpaw.
Searching for McMurray, Pollock, McLean, Shearer, Jamieson, Plumpton.

pwright

Pollock

Post by pwright » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:25 am

Thanks to all who replied with this info.

I am descended from Robert Pollock and am interested in finding if there are relatives still in Scotland. Also interested in conversing with any relatives out there.

Thanks...

pwright

Pollock

Post by pwright » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:35 am

Southpaw...please drop me a note re: Pollock's. Would love to share info. I am at pwrigh99ATyahoo.com.

Robert Pollock was a direct line ancestor.

Thanks.....

Admin Note: E-Mail address altered to avoid Spam.

Annafrid

Re: Robert Campbell Pollock

Post by Annafrid » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:06 pm

Hello,l have a question about the Pollock family from Bo' ness.
My ancestors came from Bo' ness. James( Jacob) Pollock and Catherine Mckalster( Mcalister).
They married june 5,1746 in the Church of Scotland,Rotterdam the Netherlands.
All l know is they were both born in Bo' ness,his father was Thomas Pollock and hers John Mcalister.
Their son was named Jan,his grandson was named Pieter Pollock (tailor) and my grgr grandfather.
There' s a Thomas Pollock from Derry married to Cochran. I share a small amount of dna with the descendants of this Thomas
Maybe someone can help me find out more about the Pollocks.
Also would like to know if they are related to the jewish Pollocks.
Greetings Ann.