Please Help!!!!!!

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:20 pm

I am pleased !

That heart stopping moment when you see things dissapear is not funny or one you want repeated.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:07 am

Don’t forget to download all your paid images from SP. Also export your lists of previous searches and viewed images in whichever format is convenient. Once you have them stored on your computer back them up to other media as you would your other important family history files.

Look on the accessibility of paid images on SP as a convenient form of online secondary backup. As far as I am aware SP make no guarantee of recovery of lost data, or compensation, should a problem occur either because of their fault or yours. All computer systems are vulnerable to damage or attack of some sort and those at SP are not immune. In the world of business and the internet nothing is permanent.

Alan

hg

Post by hg » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi Alan
hg wrote:
I just had a look at faq's on downloading and viewing images. It says deleted items are not retrievable even if it also in the timeline section of the account.

8-[
I am In the middle of downloading them. Should do them as I go along.

This will teach me to do so in the future.

I am wondering about backing them up!

Ancestry have packages, has anybody used them? Or has anyone any other suggestions?

all the best

Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

keewik

Post by keewik » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:51 pm

I use an external hard drive. You can use 'send to' for all your stuff on the main computer, including all these records - if you have them all in one folder, you can send the folder to the hard drive in one go - no need to do things individually. You can also use the hard drive for backing up virtually everything on your computer - or so I'm told - I haven't got beyond the stage of backing up Word docs and pictures (including all the SP stuff).

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:02 am

Hello Helen and Keewick,

You can copy your files onto CDRs or DVDRs and back them up that way. I do that occasionally and park them at a relatives place just in case. But for my main backups I too use an external hard drive. USB Flash drives are an option but some can be temperamental and unreliable.

The beauty of the external hard drive is that there’s much more room and you can use a special backup program that only copies new files or files that have changed and removes from the backup any files you have deleted from your computer. This means that if you are backing up your complete My Documents folder, for example, the time it takes after the first backup will be substantially less.

External hard drives in large capacities are relatively cheap and easy to use with their own backup program. Mine doesn’t have one so I use a free program called EZBack-it-up available here http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/EZBack ... kitup.html

There may be better programs, or newer ones that are more user-friendly, but I opted for something simple rather than an overly complicated synchronisation program that I was worried about synchronising in the wrong direction. You can also access the backup folders easily, should you need to, as they are exactly as they appear on your computer i.e. no compression and the like.

There’s an online backup called Mozy. It gives you 2GB of free space. I’ve downloaded the program but haven’t installed it yet. I was thinking of using it as another backup of my Word Documents, which probably total about 100MB, and maybe some other files of small size that I’ve spent a lot of time on but not things like photos and other image files which take up too much space and too long for me to upload. There’s a write-up and link here http://technofileonline.com/texts/tec072708.html

Hope this helps,
Alan