:cry: Discounted SP Credits...

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

scotmum

:cry: Discounted SP Credits...

Post by scotmum » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:28 pm

:cry:

...just read "from September 2008 it will be easier than ever to access ScotlandsPeople with the introduction of a voucher system...starter accounts and top up vouchers to library customers throughout Scotland, at a discounted rate...60 credits for first £6.00 then top-ups at £4.80 for 30 credits"

:cry: ...whilst great for those in Scotland, it makes me very sad and indeed frustrated that those of us who live elsewhere and have probably spent hundreds on SP over the past few years, cannot avail of these discounted rates. So much for all our loyalty in using the service.
:cry:

davran

Post by davran » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:48 pm

I agree, it doesn't seem quite fair. Those who live in Scotland have more of a chance of getting to the record office in person anyway, whilst those of us who live outside the borders have to rely on SP. I only have the paternal line from Scotland, so quite often when I've hit a brickwall I've had to forfeit any outstanding credits, which is very annoying.
Researching: KNOX of Renfrew. Also FORSYTH, MCFARLANE, MCINDOE, BENNIE, HUTCHISON, HENDERSON

scotmum

Post by scotmum » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks for your agreement. I really do feel very strongly on this matter and have sent a complaint to SP re same, but fully realise it would probably take a vast amount of similar such complaints for any positive outcome.

By the way, outstanding credits should still be there...if you make a further purchase though (I appreciate your frustration nonetheless).

scotmum

Post by scotmum » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:06 pm

I have read that "... the the libraries project in Scotland forms part of the Scottish Government's social inclusion policy, which allows the Scottish libraries to receive the service at a subsidies rate...".

It still seems silly, though, that long standing users, not in Scotland, and especially those with high previous spends, cannot get discounts.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:37 am

Hi everyone:

At first glance, it may seem a bit uneven, eventhough many of us have supported SP. Those of us not living in Scotland have not contributed to the original funding, or subsequent support through our taxes.

Frances

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:48 am

The SP User Group minutes show that this issue has been raised by one of its overseas members, and the answer is pretty much as has been given above.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/conte ... utes14.pdf

All the best,

AndrewP

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:23 am

Hi All,

Personally, I am thrilled with the results that I've been able to achieve from SP. What I'm not to happy about is the time limit allowed to use up the credits which are purchased, although they've relaxed their rules over the years (in the past the credits needed to be used up in 48 hours :shock:)

Maybe SP should consider a similar Annual or Semi-Annual discount for their oversea's users? :roll:

Regards
Marilyn

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:50 am

I agree with Marilyn,

I can’t see the point of having any time limit on the use of credits especially for a site that retains customer information such as stale credits, previous searches and images and the like. I don’t remember there being any major disaster for them when they increased the limit from 48 hours or whatever to 90 days some time back. Perhaps they’re worried about rampaging inflation or something.

In fact I can’t even figure why you have to purchase in blocks of £6 and not be able to spend say £6.50 or whatever if that’s all you desire to spend. Many other sites have that capacity.

Because they are a monopoly they don’t need to give discounts for bulk purchases, discounts for loyal customers who spend above certain amounts, free trials of their product or any of that malarky. In fact why would they bother unless someone else is prepared to subsidise it?

However with the World economy the way it is and is going, and with the increasing need to look at expenditure on the basics of life and with the very likely large downturn of the income of genealogy related sites, especially those that prove expensive over time, who knows what may develop.

Alan

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:30 am

Sorry to change the subject slightly but.................

I would like to know if at any time in the future they are going to consider accepting Pay Pay as a payment method for people like me who no longer use plastic - debit or credit. I know there are vouchers but when you want to look for someone you don't want to wait a week or more for them to arrive to do so.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi Tracey:

That may be an interesting question to send to SP, to see what their response would be.

Off the top of my head, I would say they may be restricted by government regulation as to which methods they use. Certainly if PayPal charges to SP would be less/equal to standard credit/debit cards, they might be willing to consider it.

Frances