For those visiting the SP Centre

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

AndrewP
Site Admin

For those visiting the SP Centre

Post by AndrewP » Fri May 06, 2016 8:34 pm

I was in the ScotlandsPeople Centre today, and found that currently you cannot save images to a memory stick (as has normally been allowed for a few years). This is following the virus attack that they had a month or so back. There is nothing to imply whether this is, or is not permanent, but it is certainly the case just now.

At the same time, there is a reduction in the cost of printing out documents (except the 'modern' records, which you never have been allowed to print out or save to a memory stick). The normal 50p charge has been reduced to 30p. I think this is a compensation for not being able to save documents to a memory stick.

I can see no sign of this on the ScotlandsPeople Centre website, so I am guessing it is a temporary situation. I presume this same restriction applies equally to the ScotlandsPeople Centre outposts around Scotland.

All the best,

AndrewP

Russell

Re: For those visiting the SP Centre

Post by Russell » Fri May 06, 2016 11:22 pm

Sounds like sensible restriction to protect the system. We all depend on safe access after all but we don't all have the awareness of security needs.
Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon May 09, 2016 5:03 pm

AndrewP wrote:I was in the ScotlandsPeople Centre today, and found that currently you cannot save images to a memory stick (as has normally been allowed for a few years). This is following the virus attack that they had a month or so back. There is nothing to imply whether this is, or is not permanent, but it is certainly the case just now.

At the same time, there is a reduction in the cost of printing out documents (except the 'modern' records, which you never have been allowed to print out or save to a memory stick). The normal 50p charge has been reduced to 30p. I think this is a compensation for not being able to save documents to a memory stick.

I can see no sign of this on the ScotlandsPeople Centre website, so I am guessing it is a temporary situation. I presume this same restriction applies equally to the ScotlandsPeople Centre outposts around Scotland.

All the best,

AndrewP
Well I wish I had known that you could Andrew!!! :oops: I can't believe I didn't know that - what a lot of time that would have saved.

Best wishes,
Annette

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon May 09, 2016 6:43 pm

I wonder how they will police that? Body searches or some sort of tech solution?

This fellow could be a problem! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acVc6H7wYbA&app=desktop

Although, he' s thinking of swapping it for an mp3 player, in which case, for stereo, he may need another amputation.

I don't think I would be game to sneak a USB stick into a library where it wasn't allowed. Not after having suffered the lash of the 'Librarian from Hell' merely for 'winding too fast'.

Alan

LATER: Link appears to be dead, too late to describe what it is, maybe I'll fix it later.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon May 09, 2016 6:54 pm

nelmit wrote:Well I wish I had known that you could Andrew!!! :oops: I can't believe I didn't know that - what a lot of time that would have saved.

Best wishes,
Annette
If it had saved you a lot of time, it would also have cost you some cash - 50p per image saved. Just need to wait and see if the security issues change, and saving images comes back on stream.

All the best,

AndrewP