Moderator: Global Moderators

Ann In the UK

Re: Scotlands People

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:27 am

Ahhh! That makes sense :D

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:41 am

Finding it very difficult! Different results each time I search. Not showing results I know are there. Have had a major break through with a brick wall - thanks to someone on this site - trying to get my own copies of certs I know are there - can't get them. Not happy!
Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:40 am

I'm having the same problem Trish......no results for records that I've previously seen. Hopefully they will work the problem out soon. I was lucky enough to find a 1955 birth record though :D

Ina

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:22 am

runmerry

Post by runmerry » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:21 pm

Well my experience of the new site has been all good so far.

Tried to logon and found I couldn't remember either my username or password as my computer logged me in automatically.Sent a message to the service desk, got a reply next day which told me I had multiple accounts and to re-register and let them know, which I did. Within the next few days I could access my timeline with a lot of stuff and a few credits I had given up for lost. I must say I find the new layout much clearer and less cramped and easier to understand.
I'm glad they haven't gone down the subscription route as the main reason I don't use Ancestry or F.M.P is the need for subscriptions.

Just thought I would give my positive experience as there seems to be a lot of negative ones.

Regards
jen

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:49 am

I'm glad they haven't gone down the subscription route as the main reason I don't use Ancestry or F.M.P is the need for subscriptions.
I'd just like it as an option is all.

BTW, I understand Ancestry UK is free this weekend (or for the rest of this weekend). And just making sure everyone's seen this site - can be very useful as it changes all the time:

http://genealogydiscount.co.uk/

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:09 pm

trish1 wrote:
Ina wrote:Just saw the "new" look. Will take some time to get used to.

Ina
Had to change my password (didn't have a capital letter in the old one). Will log on for the next year & forget that letter.

And it has joined the in fashion "boxy" look of web sites. I do not do change very well. Still fighting my bank website that did the same.
I'm the same Trish. Mine was the same one they gave me when I registered 13 years ago and I had to change one letter to lower case! Like you I wonder how many times I'll forget.

Regards,
Annette

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:14 pm

I'm not sure if anybody has queried this...................I tried searching with maiden and married names for a death but the index brought up pages and pages of one name or the other.

Is this a glitch or can you not get results for both names together.

Hope that makes sense.

Annette

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:53 pm

I tried my Grandmother's death.

It brought up 12 results:
2 of which were her
1 in her maiden name and 1 in her married name.
The Reference numbers are identical in those 2 cases.
The rest of the results were all for the married name version.

Curious?
Wilma

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Im slowly trying to get used to the new site - I like the idea of free searching of indexes. One thing I miss is being able to put approx year of birth in when searching for births or deaths - I seem to have to trawl through quite a few pages sometimes (thankfully free) or am I missing that part? :D
Looking for
Mackay Morrison Manson - Sutherland
Bain Sinclair Gunn Henderson Levack Dunnet Lyall More Corner Miller-Caithness
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney