Parent Search

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

Moray_Lass

Parent Search

Post by Moray_Lass » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 am

After a while, a few expiring credit nudged me back into Scotland's People and I started doing my Mother's maternal line.

Anyone figured out how to do a parent search on the 'new' Scotland's People website yet? I've tracked down 5 Siblings to my Great Grandmother on Family Search but they came from people's trees which didn't include her (I know they are right as one of her brothers was a witness at her marriage, along with her parents on that cert) but I'd like to do a parent search of SP to confirm and find any others - like in the old days ;-) Unfortunately there are too many Wood's in Fordyce in the given period to check them all. Being able to search parents Wood/Lorimer would help allot.
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

rossm

Re: Parent Search

Post by rossm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm fairly sure this isn't going to be possible on Scotland's People. I usually just do parent searches on familysearch, then go looking for the results one-by-one on SP. I'd guess that now that it is free to view the summary of search results on SP (instead of charging one credit), they'd effectively be giving information away for free if they made the search criteria too easy to pinpoint specific results without downloading the record. They giveth and they taketh away...

Ross

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks Ross

That is what I was afraid of, problem is the Trees on Family Search (3 of them) don't include the same people and none include my G Granny, so I wonder who else is missing. I wouldn't mind being able to do a parent search and be told there are 7 results and having to pay 1 credit to see those 7 names and then I can buy the Certs for them for the dates etc. Currently you could waste a fortune guessing all the children were born in the same parish, especially with common names.

I'm thinking of going 'old school' next weekend and ask my Uncle who he remembers but as the second youngest he might not remember many.
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:12 pm

have you tried looking on SP for deaths?
Some entries do give the maiden names of the mothers.

I popped Wood in as the surname and Lorimer as the Mother's name and came up with 4 [only Andrew Black Wood in 1866 for Fordyce though]

I take it the census info isn't recent enough?
Wilma

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Thanks Wilma

I hadn't got around to looking at Death records, I know one, at least, went to America and died there. I remember Granny telling me the story of them coming back to visit with a big car ;-) Andrew Black Wood is a brother of my G Granny Allena Wood. He gets the Black middle name from his maternal Grandmother, Elspeth Black.

I think Census is my next step, after I talk to my uncle and see what he remembers. I would just have been nice if the parent search was still available.
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:30 am

If you do a search in the OPRs, once the first search launches, the form then has additional boxes for 1st parent name and second parent name, enabling you to filter the list down. Though only use 'Lorimer' in one box, as it gets 'wood' from the surname - filters down to 17 births - which filters down to four couples - Patrick Wood/Margaret Lorimer; Peter Wood/Margaret Lorimer; Alexander Wood/Elizabeth Lorimer and Robert Wood/ Isobel Lorimer.

Deaths are a bit easier in that there is only one box anyway. But no deaths in Fordyce

Hope this helps

John

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:02 am

Thanks John

Neat trick I will have to investigate, but none of those couples are mine - John Wood/May Lorimer and my date range is in the 1860-1890 at the moment. I just started my Granny's line at the weekend.
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Is this them in 1881:
Dwelling: Burnside Of Hillside John WOOD Head M 36 M Ag Lab Rathven, Banff, Scotland
Dwelling: Burnside Of Hillside May WOOD Wife M 43 F Fordyce, Banff, Scotland
Dwelling: Burnside Of Hillside John WOOD Son 12 M Scholar Fordyce, Banff, Scotland
Dwelling: Burnside Of Hillside Elspet B. WOOD Daur 10 F Scholar Fordyce, Banff, Scotland
Dwelling: Burnside Of Hillside Ann F. WOOD Daur 8 F Scholar Fordyce, Banff, Scotland
Dwelling: Burnside Of Hillside May WOOD Daur 5 F Fordyce, Banff, Scotland
Dwelling: Burnside Of Hillside Alexina WOOD Daur 3 F Fordyce, Banff, Scotland

I put John Wood birth place Banff into the free 1881 LDS search on SP .

Using the ages there, just put Wood into the 1891 census search for Fordyce and the whole family pop up - rather helpfully with [john] after each first name! presumably the way the families were distinguished in the village.
there's 9 of them all told. May seems to be Margaret though.
Only 2 girls at home in 1901 - compare the reference numbers to find the household.

Sometimes you have to go roundabout to get what you want.
Wilma

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:27 pm

Thanks Wilma :-)

That looks to be them. Haven't picked up John Wood/May Lorimer marriage cert from SP yet (I'm resisting buying more credits till the weekend or I'm get sucked in easily) but the text on Family Search says May. I also have her in 1841 census as May with mother Elpseth Black and sister Helen - not sure where the father was that night. Then again Allena (birth cert) is down as Alexina on that census - story I got was she was named after father/grandfather Allen, I just haven't found one yet.
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:39 pm

They could be mistranscriptions - Mgt being turned into May - or vice-versa.

Free Cen only has 1841/51/61 for Fordyce, but having a look may fill in the further gaps and naming patterns.

Playing about with the index can give plenty info without spending any credits ;)
Wilma