New Member.....

If you are having difficulty with the ScotlandsPeople site, or have answers

Moderator: Global Moderators

Wendy

NEED SOME GOOD EYES

Post by Wendy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:27 am

James Moreland b. 08 Sep 1872, Goven Lanark Scotland...Parents William Alexander Moreland and Agnes Gibson.....marries Isabella Harland
10 January 1896 Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
James is listed as a Slaughter house Labourer.
Parents are both listed as deceased for James

I can see William Alexander Moreland ....Railway __________ but can't make out exactly what it says......any ideas ????

Isabella's parents are listed as James Harland and Ann ________ ?????
The witnesses to the marriage were:
Archibald Campbell and Agnes Moreland

I have the image...don't know how to upload to here though :oops:

if you have time...maybe someone could take a peak!!!!
many thanks
Wendy
Searching for :
Anderson, Dunlop, Gibson, Moreland, Paterson,

DavidWW

Re: NEED SOME GOOD EYES

Post by DavidWW » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:38 am

Wendy wrote:James Moreland b. 08 Sep 1872, Goven Lanark Scotland...Parents William Alexander Moreland and Agnes Gibson.....marries Isabella Harland
10 January 1896 Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
James is listed as a Slaughter house Labourer.
Parents are both listed as deceased for James

I can see William Alexander Moreland ....Railway __________ but can't make out exactly what it says......any ideas ????

Isabella's parents are listed as James Harland and Ann ________ ?????
The witnesses to the marriage were:
Archibald Campbell and Agnes Moreland

I have the image...don't know how to upload to here though :oops:

if you have time...maybe someone could take a peak!!!!
many thanks
Wendy
Wendy

The occupation is "Railway Plate Layer" and the surname is "Bewick".

Davie

Wendy

Thanks Davie

Post by Wendy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:56 pm

Many thanks Davie.....actually I was really close to the railway one...but would never have gotten Bewick ...I thought it was Hannel..or something like that......

Wendy
Searching for :

Montrose Budie

Re: Thanks Davie

Post by Montrose Budie » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:33 pm

Wendy wrote:Many thanks Davie.....actually I was really close to the railway one...but would never have gotten Bewick ...I thought it was Hannel..or something like that......

Wendy
To tell the truth I couldn't interpret the name either, nor on the associated marriage register entry - altho' I had my suspicions from this latter, - I had to go to the relevant birth entry to see it clearly, which is a roundabout way of pointing out the manner in which such a difficult to read name sometimes has to be approached.

Just to add a wee bit of spice to the situation none of my British Isles surname sources, i.e. including Oirland, have an entry for Bewick, but there must have been at least one (other) family of the name as there's a breed of swan - Bewick's Swan (Cygnus columbianus bewickii), - see SP, see the (useless) info you get at times :roll:

Davie's alter ego (cannie be bothered copying and posting this on my normal a/c, - I got dumped and "lost" "posts since last logged on", so came in on my reserve a/c that exists for exactly that situation.)

Wendy

Post by Wendy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:52 pm

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this...and I love all the so called "useless" information.....it certainly helps...and it never hurts to actually learn something ...as you are dealing with someone that is slowly learning the ropes...and needs all the little hints and tricks she can get her hands on....so my hat is off to ya for spending the time on this one and the explanation too.....

so I guess now its off to get some more family ...sounds like this may be a hard one .... maybe I'll just find some swans flying around that can point me in the right direction...or just use "HONK" for the first names and as the crow flies for the birthplace..... :lol:

Never fear I'll be back with more queries...

Wendy
Searching for :

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:04 pm

Wendy wrote:Thanks for taking the time to help me with this...and I love all the so called "useless" information.....it certainly helps...and it never hurts to actually learn something ...as you are dealing with someone that is slowly learning the ropes...and needs all the little hints and tricks she can get her hands on....so my hat is off to ya for spending the time on this one and the explanation too.....

so I guess now its off to get some more family ...sounds like this may be a hard one .... maybe I'll just find some swans flying around that can point me in the right direction...or just use "HONK" for the first names and as the crow flies for the birthplace..... :lol:

Never fear I'll be back with more queries...

Wendy
Nae prob :!:

I always learn something as well, and add that wee bit of experience to interpretation of names. I always aim to get it on the original document, as sometimes that will be the only source, but sometimes a workaround is required.

Davie

Wendy

Just an update

Post by Wendy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:55 pm

Hello,
Thought I would post what I have been able to find out about James Moreland and Isabella Harland....they had the following children:
1-Agnes Gibson Moreland b.08 May 1898
2-William Moreland b.19 Mar 1900
3-David Hugh Moreland b.03 Oct 1902 d. 17 Oct 1902 died from Whooping Cough....Probable cause Convulsions ...baby only 2 weeks old.
4-Isabella Harland Moreland b.1904 d.09 Oct 1939 from Carcinoma of Breast , Secondary infection of Spinal column married to Robert Watson unknown when and anything about children....as yet..HOPING to find more info
5-Margaret Ann Moreland b.Jul 1910 d.28 Sep 1914 from Bronchi Pneumonia ....Meningitis

from checking the births in Greenock for Moreland ,I also found Robert Moreland (another brother )and his wife Mary "Minnie" McCartney married 04 Jul 1891 Belfast ,Ireland...found the birth of a daughter Minnie Moreland 01 Dec 1901 ,Greenock.. at the same address as brother James and family...so looked at the marriage date and knew other children had to have been born to this couple considering there was such a span of years between marriage and daughter Minnie...so did a census search and found Robert and wife with the following children:
Robert Moreland b.1893, Ireland
Jennie Moreland b.1894, Ireland
James Moreland b. 1899, Ireland

I haven't been able to locate any info on births in Ireland.....but would also assume...MAYBE... that other children were bore between 94 & 99 that died but don't have anymore info...I had asked if there was an Ireland site like Scotland People where you can search and pay for certificates..but haven't had a response so am assuming there isn't ..... :oops: :cry: would love to ba able to find the marriage record for Robert and Minnie and find out who her parents are..so can start searching the McCartney line.....

I was also told that Mary Jane (Moreland) Graham ( a sister to James and Robert ) was living on Dumbarton Road with two two brothers..in 1891..but have NOT been able to locate them in the census ...must be doing something wrong again......I get 9 pages of Grahams in Greenock...but can't for the life of me narrow it down...so have been eating up credits trying to search......

ANYWAY this is my findings on the Morelands ...so now back to hunting out more info....

Wendy
Searching for :