William Glass-Royal Scots

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Anniespangles

William Glass-Royal Scots

Post by Anniespangles » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 am

Hi ,I am trying to locate my great grand dads war records,his daughter my gran is still alive (89) and I think she will be intrested to know about that time in her dads life.He was William Glass and was a Private in the 18 battalion Royal Scots during WW1.The little piece I read on the 18th battalion said that they never saw active service yet my family remember him walking poorly and having trench foot on his return,though this could be family myth as he did manage to return to his job as a postman on his return to Dumbarton .I found his army battalion/section from his marriage certificate when he married Jessie Dryden Hodgson in 1916,he was 23 yrs old.He was basd at Pudhope Castle in Dundee at the time of his marriage though he was born and bred Dumbarton.He later set up home and had his family in Dumbarton.Would the Mitchell have any info on war records,Iam hopeing to go soon for my first visit.Just a thought that occured ,could he have been a postman for the Royal Scots? Anne.

StewL

Re: William Glass-Royal Scots

Post by StewL » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:32 am

Hello Anne
The records you would be looking for would be held by the National Archives or Department of Defence.
Unfortunately a lot of WWI records were destroyed during bombing in WWII.
You are correct about the 18th Battalion, it was a training unit that did not serve overseas.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Anniespangles

Post by Anniespangles » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks Stewie :D Just to let you know William Glass s daughter (my gran) later became a Porterfield.Don't know if this is of any us to you in your Porterfield searches?

StewL

Post by StewL » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:22 am

Hello Anniespangles
I am not sure about connections to Porterfields as yet.
My 3rd gtgrandmother was Janet Porterfield born abt 1827 in Renfrew.
I only know of one brother to Janet and he was a William Porterfield.
Their parents were William Porterfield and Janet McGee, but that is all I know so far.
They are one of my ](*,)
I just might have to start looking again :)
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:36 am

Hello Annie,

It often happened that WW1 soldiers served in more than one regiment or battalion. They could be transferred to a new regiment after wounding or illness or just to fill vacancies caused by conflict. If they were no longer fit for front-line duty they could be sent to do something they could handle.

Have you heard whether he ever had any campaign medals, such as those shown here. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... ds-ww1.htm If he had them it would mean that he served outside of the UK. If you have any medals that were his is there anything inscribed anywhere on them, including around the rim?

At the bottom of the above National Archives page you’ll find a search box for medal index cards. The cards are also available from Ancestry. These sometimes show enough information to help identify a soldier. Those awarded campaign medals in the Royal Scots were:

Glass, William, 5/6th Royal Scots, 275350, Private

Glass, William Brownlie, 16th Royal Scots, 16750, Private
King's Royal Rifle Corps, Second Lieutenant

Glass, William, Royal Scots, 29637, Private

Glass, William, Royal Scots, 48490, Private

Glass, William, Highland Light Infantry, 201041, Private
Royal Scots, 45325, Private

There was also, Glass, William J, Royal Scots, 22830, Private, but he was killed 1916.

About two thirds of the WW1 British Army service records were destroyed and the records that survived are available from Ancestry.

All the best,
Alan

Anniespangles

Post by Anniespangles » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:02 pm

Thankyou for this Alan,Ihad wondered if there was a chance he'd been transferred from one battalion to another.I told my Mum last night what Id found . She remembers her granddad well and was told he had trench foot hence his poor walk and other health problems ,she also belives he was almost shot for desertion.I know the Royal Scots themselves will do a records search for around £18 so I am tempted just to ask them.Ive no idea about any medals but I have contacted his son who lives in California ,my great uncle is about 92 and I hope he can shine a light.Thanks for this information its helped lots.Anne

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Ive no idea about any medals
As far as I am aware, all soldiers who served in WW1 were entitiled to one or more medals if they served abroad. See:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... ervice.htm

Best wishes
Lesley