3 Watsons to a page Eureka!

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Russell

3 Watsons to a page Eureka!

Post by Russell » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:32 am

I had tried without success to find a Watson relative in Kilrenny. She appeared on the 1871 census but I could not track down her death record.
There was no Jessie Watson of that age. Time for a rethink! What other name might she be under. Obvious after 3 weeks searching (don't ask me how many credits on SP) I tried Janet and up it came!!! Now I know her parents, guesses turn into hard facts. Her son had registered her death and his address was also noted!!!

Down on the same page, third entry was another Janet Watson. Same age, died one day later. Who registered her death ? Her step-son-in-law same guy who registered myJanet Watson. Where did he live? same address as the second one. By this time my heid was birlin'
Another look at the record and in between these 2 old ladies was the death of a child Would you believe it her name was Jessie Watson. I should make it clear that not everyone in Kilrenny is called Janet/Jessie Watson!
Three on one page must make it something of a record !

For me it was time for a wee jig and maybe a celebratory hauf -or two. One page had tied together two branches of the family at a stroke. Something which a professional researcher who shares the name had not managed to do.
Moral of the story is keep trying but keep in mind that in Scotland what you were christened is not always what you were called. (Too late I learned that you could use wildcard ** on scotlandpeople)

My New Year wish will be that everyone on TalkingScot has as good a 'find' as I have had.

Russell

Mykayla's Gran

Post by Mykayla's Gran » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:55 am

Russell – Brill!!! I’m so pleased for you. I’ve had a number of dead ends myself of late and was feeling a wee bit disheartened, but your good luck just proves it’s all out there – just waiting for us to tap into it. Well done for your perseverance, and good luck for further great finds!

Regards

Vee
McGillivray Nicolson SKYE
Whyte Grant Keith Roberts Low Wright Lamond Wilson Walker ANGUS
Morrison Forbes Gillan BANFFSHIRE
Milne Reid ABERDEEN
Chalmers Crighton Cleugh FIFE
McGrath Gibb IRELAND (Westmeath?)

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:07 am

Russell

An object lesson in the need to understand the manner in which various Scottish given names are interchangeable., e.g. Jane, Jean, Janet, Jeannie, Jessie, and a few more than occur to me at this time of Wednesday morning ...................... !!

There are many other such groups of cognate given names ....... never mind nicknames, but let's not get into that subject for the moment......

An object lesson as well, especially in small rural registration districts, to have a look at the other 1 or 2 records on the same page !!

David

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:18 am

Just on the topic of names . My mother (aged 94!) clarified for me today that a relative I knew as Pearl was christened Margaret. Since Margaret means a pearl she acquired the alternative name.
I still don't know how Mary Ann can become 'Polly'
Maybe the answer is out there somewhere???

Russell

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:37 am

Russell wrote:Just on the topic of names . My mother (aged 94!) clarified for me today that a relative I knew as Pearl was christened Margaret. Since Margaret means a pearl she acquired the alternative name.
I still don't know how Mary Ann can become 'Polly'
Maybe the answer is out there somewhere???

Russell
I've never come across a Polly, but a quick look at http://www.20000-names.com/female_m_names.htm gives:

MARY: Hebrew name meaning "bitter." Variants and diminutives include Mamie, May, Molly, and Polly.

David

Later: Oh yes I have, just a great-aunt, - Mary (Polly) JACK !!
dww
Last edited by DavidWW on Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:42 am

On the subject of nicknames, one clever so and so put one of the children down on a 1891 English census as "Toddles" ! who i assume is Martha on the 1901.How does Martha become Toddles ! ( dont be blaming the English for that one - they were Scottish parents !! ) :wink:
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

Skywave

Sequential Births on one Certificate

Post by Skywave » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:15 am

Three children born to James McDonald and Isabella Thomson were my lucky find, looking for a Helen Mcdonald I identified and sent for a copy of the OPR BC. Imagine my surprise to find on it's arrival the birth of 2 sons previously unknown to me. All were Registered on the same day with birth dates in 1833. 1835 and 1837. Now that what I call vaule for money. :lol:

Ron

dmacdiarmid

fife moggach's

Post by dmacdiarmid » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:11 pm

Tracey wrote:On the subject of nicknames, one clever so and so put one of the children down on a 1891 English census as "Toddles" ! who i assume is Martha on the 1901.How does Martha become Toddles ! ( dont be blaming the English for that one - they were Scottish parents !! ) :wink:

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:53 am

Russel and David

I dont know how is missed this thread, but a week before you found your long lost I finally found my paternal grannies birth. As you guessed she was always known as Jessie, but I finaly found her under her right name Janet Graham Anderson. :oops: Embarrased, who me naw much. I should have known better as my maternal grannie was known as Jeannie all her life but her birth name was Jane. So I should have known better :oops:
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

mallog

Re: 3 Watsons to a page Eureka!

Post by mallog » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 am

Russell wrote:I had tried without success to find a Watson relative in Kilrenny. She appeared on the 1871 census but I could not track down her death record.
There was no Jessie Watson of that age. Time for a rethink! What other name might she be under. Obvious after 3 weeks searching (don't ask me how many credits on SP) I tried Janet and up it came!!! Now I know her parents, guesses turn into hard facts. Her son had registered her death and his address was also noted!!!

Russell
Your perseverance is always inspiring.
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down