Death at Sea

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Helen G

Post by Helen G » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi Hugh,

I had alook at the links you added very interesting reading, I found an interesting family namely Patrick Murray travelling with his wife and 7 children (sadly they were not my rellies).

I will keep you informed of anything I come across.

Many thanks
Helen
Helen from west coast of Scotland

Looking for the following familys from Ireland and Greenock, Murray's, Kelly's, Knoxs, Dixon, Cook, Maguire and Canning Clans as well as the Burow family from Germany

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:45 pm

Hi Helen, I can recommend two books which would give you an insight into your man´s life at sea: "The Last Grain Race" by Eric Newby where he describes life before the mast on a barque just before WW2, very well written. See:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Grain-Race ... 0330318853 from 2GBP

and also: "Shadow and Sun" by Neil Campbell who was close to your man in time, joined a barque in the first years of last century so probably the nearest you´ll get to his circumstances. See:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A ... ell&page=4
only in hardback.
Both sailed to Australia and back to UK, but survived.

Guid reading,

Thrall

Helen G

Post by Helen G » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:47 am

Hi Thrall

Just sent away for The Last Grain Race by Eric Newbury at the pricely sum of £3.84 (the book was only 94 pence, postage and packaging cost the rest).

I am not a seafaring individual :oops: (I must sadly admit that I get sea sickness between Gourock and Dunoon which is only a 20 minute journey at most, I do not take after my father or gg-grandfathers).

I thank you for the link and will keep you informed.

Thanks
Helen

Looking for the following familys from Ireland and Greenock, Murray's, Kelly's, Knoxs, Dixon, Cook, Maguire and Canning Clans as well as the Burow family from Germany

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:45 am

Hi Helen and Thrall thanks for the info have a look at this link.

http://a1300401.uscgaux.info/forms-docs ... arques.pdf

Hugh.

Helen G

Post by Helen G » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:01 am

Hi Hugh and Thrall,

Hugh, that last link was very interesting reading and I thank you for sharing it with me.

Thrall, I recieved "The Last Grain Race" this morning, I am looking forward to reading the Journey of Eric Newby.

Thanks again
Helen

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:45 am

I thibk that Newby was in one of Gustav Ericson's sailing ships, - this book describes this fleet.....

The last tall ships : Gustaf Erikson and the Åland sailing fleets, 1872-1947
by Georg Kåhre; Basil Greenhill: Publisher: New York : Mayflower Books, [1977] | ISBN: 0831754605.

David

Thrall

Post by Thrall » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:30 am

Hi David, yes, he bought up the sailing ships and tried to keep them running despite the economic odds being against him.
I think one of the more remarkable points was that the language spoken on board these ships was often Finnish which perhaps only a handful of the crew spoke, but orders were none the less delivered in that most difficult tongue. (I speak fairly well advised, as I know several Finns and have a daughter who has been at university in Finland, apart from visiting often myself).
Marieham, Gustav Ericson´s home port is however in the Aland Islands which are Swedish speaking, so I reckon it was dependant on the captain´s linguistic preferences!

Helen, I´m sure you will enjoy it, and then perhaps try the other....... :) ................. despite the cost.

Orraverrabest,

Thrall

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:36 am

Hyvää huomenta Thrall

On a 25 hr booze cruise out of Stockholm - if the ship was at sea for more than 24 hrs duty free booze could be purchased, - I visited Marieham, where the Pommern forms the basis of a maritime museum. See http://www.pommern.aland.fi/history.htm .

Erikson actually made reasonable profits, as he insured the cargo but not the hull ! (or was it the hull and not the cargo ?..........)

What was totally fascinating to a Scot was to see how much of the equipment was supplied by companies from the Glasgow area, - but not really surprising as she was built by J. Reid & Co in Port Glasgow.

Jutellaan toistekin!

David ........ Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Hugh Stevely

Post by Hugh Stevely » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:25 pm

God middag all.

The Pommern a good Vessel in her days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pommern_(ship)

Mariehamn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariehamn

Trevliq dag!

Hugh.

Helen G

Post by Helen G » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi Hugh, Thrall and David,

I have just finished "The last Grain Race", I found it very interesting reading. They had a very difficult life and I found it beneficial to the research I have been conducting for my FT both from my outlook from a young boy at the of 22 (great uncle William and also my gg grandfather Burow who travelled from Germany pre 1897).

I am awaiting the arrival "Shadow and Sun" and look forward to reading this as well.

Thank you all for this information and if I find anymore information I will keep you all informed.

Kind Regards
Helen