Poor Law Application, an abbreviation

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

LesleyB

Poor Law Application, an abbreviation

Post by LesleyB » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:39 pm

hi
I'm puzzled by an abbreviation, found in an application for poor relief. Would any of those who are at the Mitchell regularly, looking at Poor Law Applications, have any idea what "chns46" might mean? I asked the staff at the time but they did not know. Here it is in context:

Summary of the application, made by a child, aged 6yrs 10months
Date of application 16/3/1909
born 10/0/02
RC, Orphan, wholly disabled [by] youth

12 Nov 1912: 3/6 per week [so aged about 10 when first in receipt of money directly given to the child...the older siblings had also applied for relief at the same time, so they were possibly given relief enough to cover the younger child initially]
Oct 12 1917 : Off roll, working (Chns46)

Does it maybe stand for "children's" something? Or is it a code for the place or type of work? Or does it refer to another document, a form perhaps, which signifies signing "off roll".

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:31 pm

Hello Lesley,

I would vote for “Childrens” as you said. If I sit back in my chair the 46 looks like 16. Any chance that was her age when the entry was made? i.e. could the 4 be a 1?
Just guessing.

All the best,
Alan

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:24 pm

hi Alan
Thanks for your suggestion, interesting thought, but I transcribed the content from the original document when I saw it at the Mitchell recently. The numbers were quite clear - it was Chns46.

Best wishes
Lesley