St Mary's Home Bishopbriggs

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

cairnie

Re: St Mary's Home Bishopbriggs

Post by cairnie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Rosie, I am also looking for info on St. Mary's Home Bishopbriggs. My father and his two sisters were put in there about 1915. Seemingly their dad had gone missing in India [presumably in the arny] and his mother took up with a man who would not have catholic children in the house. I remember dad saying he had been brought up by nuns. I wish now I had asked more questions. Do you know if they would have went outside the home for their schooling, or if the nuns would have taught them? Dad joined the K.O.S.B. when he was 17 [lied about his age] His two sisters were sent as farm servants to Ayrshire. Would love to hear if you have managed to uncover anything at all about the home.

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:26 pm

cairnie wrote:Hi Rosie, I am also looking for info on St. Mary's Home Bishopbriggs. My father and his two sisters were put in there about 1915. Seemingly their dad had gone missing in India [presumably in the arny] and his mother took up with a man who would not have catholic children in the house. I remember dad saying he had been brought up by nuns. I wish now I had asked more questions. Do you know if they would have went outside the home for their schooling, or if the nuns would have taught them? Dad joined the K.O.S.B. when he was 17 [lied about his age] His two sisters were sent as farm servants to Ayrshire. Would love to hear if you have managed to uncover anything at all about the home.
Hello and welcome to Talking Scot Cairnie,

Hopefully Rosie will get back to you with more info about St. Mary's.

Have you thought about searching The Mitchell Library for any poorhouse applications that might have been made from the family?

Regards,
Annette

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:53 am

Information extracted from the “Fifty-Fourth Report, for the Year 1910, of the Inspector Appointed, under the Provisions of the Act 5 & 6 Will. IV. C. 38, to Visit the Certified Reformatory and Industrial Schools of Great Britain."

The categories are Certified Reformatory Schools, Certified Industrial Schools, Certified Short-term Industrial Schools and Certified Day Industrial Schools.

There are four R.C. Certified Industrial Schools listed under Lanark. Two of these have St. Mary’s in the name. The other two are Slatefield Industrial School for R.C. Boys, Gallowgate, Glasgow, and Dalbeth Industrial School for R.C. Girls, Dalbeth House, Parkhead, Glasgow.)

The only R.C. Certified Reformatory School listed for Lanark is Parkhead R.C. Reformatory for Boys at West Thorn, Tollcross, Glasgow.

--------------------

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Orphanage and Industrial School for Boys, Kenmure, Bishopbriggs, Glasgow. Certified for 200 boys, July 18, 1905. Original certificate November 25, 1862, C.M., Very Rev. Canon Dyer, 68, Abereromby Street, Glasgow.
(Detailed report p.155)

St. Mary's Roman Catholic Industrial School for Girls, Abercromby Street, Glasgow. Certified for 190 girls, November 25, 1862. C.M., The Sister Superior.
(Detailed report p218)

--------------------

(p.155)
Glasgow R.C. Orphanage.

Visited.—9th and 10th March, and 4th October, 1910.

Inmates.—Total number in school, 200; voluntary cases, 0; on licence, 14; absconders, 1.

Staff.—Superintendent, Mr. A. Mathieson. Matron and nurse, Miss Fraser, M.D. Head schoolmistress, Miss E. L. Hopegood (t. and c.), left 14th July, 1910, and was succeeded temporarily by Mrs. T. Sullivan (c.) on the same day. Miss S. A. Bradley (c.) was appointed on 14th September, 1910. First assistant schoolmistress, Mrs. W. Cadahy (t. and c.), left on 29th April, 1910, and Miss B. McLoughlin (t. and c.) was appointed on 1st May, left on 15th September, and was succeeded by Miss Dooley on 8th October. Second assistant school-mistress, Mrs. Malone (ex-p.t). Joiner and manual instructor, tailor, shoemaker, baker, engineer, and bandmaster. Change of yardmaster, assistant yardmaster, handyman, labourer, outdoor officer. Changes of kitchen-maid and laundress.

Premises.—The premises were clean and in good order through-out. A partition was being put up at one end of the dining-room to make a small recreation-room.

Standards with awards.—Standard VI, 12, good (just); Standard V, 30, very fair; Standard IV, 47, very fair; Standard III, 38, very fair; Standard II, 32,.good; Standard I. 31, good; Preparatory, 8, newcomers. The general award is very fair.

Class subjects.—Singing (sol-fa), good. Composition, very fair. Recitation, very fair generally, good in I and II. Mental arithmetic, good in I, II, and VI, fair in V and III, poor in IV. Geography, very fair in V and VI, good, elsewhere. History readers have been used. Object lessons in the juniors have been started.

Industrial training.—Drawing is good generally—geometrical drawing needs further attention in the upper standards. Manual instruction is good, and good technical lessons are given in the tailoring, shoemaking, and banking departments; the work in the tailor's shop being particularly noteworthy. The garden boys get a practical training, and the technical lessons by the superintendent, which have been in abeyance owing to illness, are to be resumed. The upper standards are also given a weekly lesson by the engineer on machinery. Of 87 boys in the school of the age of 13 and over, 71 are regularly employed in skilled occupations. Of 25 boys disposed of during 1909, 19 went to skilled occupations. The band is very fair.

Physical training, &c.—All go through a course of Swedish drill, and exercises with clubs and dumb-bells. The display will be improved when the new instructor has infused more smartness into the work. A squad gave a creditable display over the horse. Foot-ball is played and the school have won several matches.

Health.—A boy died suddenly in July from meningitis. A boy suffering from hernia was operated on in the infirmary. There was a case of fractured elbow and some boys have suffered with their eyes, but the health during the year has been generally good. There is no regular inspection of the teeth, but boys are sent to a dentist for extraction when considered necessary.

Conduct.—There were four cases of absconding (three boys getting away together), but all were promptly recovered. A few cases of disobedience and boyish offences, and a fair number of schoolroom punishments complete the list. The general conduct is good. There is no mark system, but well-behaved boys are allowed home on Sundays.

General remarks.—The frequent changes in the teaching staff have necessarily impared the schoolroom results. An improvement may be expected next year. In other respects the school appears to be doing very well.

--------------------

(p218)
Glasgow R.C. Orphanage.

Visited.—16th June and 19th December, 1910.

Inmates.—Total number in school, 190; voluntary cases, 0; on licence, 19; absconders, 0.

Staff.—Superintendent, Sister M. C. Macluskey, assisted by eight other Sisters of the Order of St. Francis. The head teacher is certificated (Miss M. P. Henegan). There are five lay assistants, including assistant teacher and helpers in sewing-room, laundry and kitchen.

Premises.—A number of pigeon holes have been provided for the girls' kits, but there have not been any structural alterations. One hundred and ninety is a big number of girls to be in a school in so congested a neighbourhood.

Standards with awards.—Standard VI, 12, good; Standard V, 35, good; Standard IV, 38, good; Standard III, 38, just good; Standard II, 32, good; Standard I, 20, good; Preparatory, 11, quite newcomers, making progress. The general award is good. Intelligent and accurate work done in upper standards.

Class subjects.—Singing, good. Composition, good; taught throughout. Recitation, good, except in Standard III, where it was very fair. Mental arithmetic, good in Standards I, V and VI, very fair in II. III and IV. Geography, good throughout, in Standards V and VI above the average. History, taught in all classes. Domestic economy is carefully taught in the upper standards. Object lessons in the lower standards are good.

Industrial training.—Needlework here is quite advanced. The senior girls, besides repairing all their own clothes, are expert at fine work, fancy work and dressmaking. Their record books speak for their industry. Twelve girls can work the knitting machine. The younger girls, who are taught their needlework in the school-room, have been well looked after. Knitting and sewing are carefully done by them. Cookery is taught by the kitchen sister; the girls are allowed good practice and keep good note-books. The practical work done on day of visit was good. Laundry work has improved very much, some good washing and ironing are done and notes are taken.

Physical training, &c.—A. qualified instructor visits to teach Swedish drill. The exhibition on day of visit was hardly as good as might have been expected. All the girls, in turn; spend a time during the summer at Bishopriggs, and benefit greatly by the change. Entertainments were enjoyed in the summer.

Health.—One girl had been kept out of the school all the year as she is suffering from granular ophthalmia. Another girl had had scrofulous abscess opened. There were five cases of measles. Two girls suffered from pneumonia, but made complete recoveries. Generally the health has been as good as could be expected.

Conduct.—Very little trouble is caused by the girls' conduct. The introduction of a mark system, if carefully organised, would he most helpful. The old girls are doing very well generally. Some are holding very good situations.

General remarks.—Considering difficulties, the results are very creditable. The elder girls especially are bright and responsive and are able to apply their schoolroom education to the requirements of any department of the institution.

--------------------

I also found a 1911 report, the most recent detailed report, and it mentioned that all the girls spend at least six weeks in the summer in the country house at Bishopbriggs. Weekly walks are taken by the younger girls to Alexandra Park.

Hope that’s interesting,
Alan

cairnie

Post by cairnie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:51 am

Many thanks for that very interesting piece of information. I have also taken Annette's advice and have written to the Mitchell Library. I have been in touch with a cousin [son of my dad's sister who was in the home ] and he remembers his mother saying it was so much better in the home than the abuse they suffered at home.

piperdanny123

Post by piperdanny123 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:48 pm

:) Hya Rosie K not sure much help I will be to you as everybody keeps talking about the early years of st marys boys school.
Anyway I was in the mary's on 1961 -1962 18months , so if thats any help to you let me know theres lots of things I could tell you, about what type of place it was then if it helps. I just found this website by chance as I've been looking for information about st marys regarding my time there, and as I got my laptop as a present decided to try this. I'm very new to the computer so please allow for any mistakes. Thank you. piperdanny123

piperdanny123

Post by piperdanny123 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:54 pm

:) Hya Rosie K not sure much help I will be to you as everybody keeps talking about the early years of st marys boys school.
Anyway I was in the mary's on 1961 -1962 18months , so if thats any help to you let me know theres lots of things I could tell you, about what type of place it was then if it helps. I just found this website by chance as I've been looking for information about st marys regarding my time there, and as I got my laptop as a present decided to try this. I'm very new to the computer so please allow for any mistakes. Thank you. piperdanny123