Thomas Spence died Kirkaldy Combination Poorhouse 1868.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

JohanH

Thomas Spence died Kirkaldy Combination Poorhouse 1868.....

Post by JohanH » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:53 am

I read the post about poorhouses with interest and wonder if anyone can help with more information about Thomas Spence who died in Kirkaldy Combination Poorhouse on 24 October 1868, aged 68. I believe he was my gg-grandfather who married Agnes Collins on 13.3.1822. Agnes died in 1862 but at least 2 daughters were living in Fife with their families when Thomas died. However there is no mention of them on his death entry and I wonder what the circumstances of his residence were. Thomas's father is given as Thomas Spence, Watchmaker, and his mother is named as Ann Collins - but I imagine the informant at the Poorhouse must have confused his mother's name with his wife's name. I have not been able to find a birth entry for him.

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:01 am

Hullo Johan

At the top of the page is the button "Societies". There you will find a link the the Fife Family History Society, who may be able to tell you if there are records still in existence for the Kirkaldy Poorhouse.

All the best

Catriona

Alison Plenderleith

Post by Alison Plenderleith » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:41 pm

Hi Johan,

When I was looking for information on the Fife & Kinross Asylum records, I e-mailed andrew.dowsey@fife.gov.uk
Andrew is the archivist for Fife, based at Markinch and will be able to tell you if such records exist.
I was fortunate enough to be able to visit myself whilst on holiday last year, but you may have to get someone to go on your behalf as they don't do transcriptions.

All the best for your search,

Alison

JohanH

Post by JohanH » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:10 pm

Thanks, Catriona and Alison. I will follow up your advice.
Henderson, McLeod, Spence, Collins,
Rolland, Bruce, Elder, Calley in Fife (Dysart, Abbotshall, Kirkaldy)
Henderson, Collins in Glasgow and Leith