Poorhouse record look-up please?

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

ninatoo

Poorhouse record look-up please?

Post by ninatoo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:00 am

Hi all,

I am hopeful that there might be someone heading to the Mitchell and who might be willing to do a look up for me?

John Gordon died at Barnhill poorhouse on Christmas Eve in 1914. He was married to Bridget Devany (dec.) I am trying to determine his county of birth in Ireland, around 1846. The 1871 census states Co. Leitrim but his Gordon family all come from Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh. On this same census his wife is listed as also from Co. Leitrim. And next door is a Francis Gordon, with his mother Rose (Murray) Gordon. So I thought it was too much of a coincidence to dispute that John and Francis were brothers.

There is a John Gordon at the IGI born 1842 to Eugene Gordon and Rose Murray. John stated on his marriage registration that his father's name was John, but at his death (registered by a poorhouse Assistant Governor) his father is named as Owen (Owen is who I want!) On all records he states his father is a Mason (Journeyman). The mother's name on all records is Rose Murray.

So...if anyone wouldn't mind taking a peep I would be very grateful!

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

nelmit

Re: Poorhouse record look-up please?

Post by nelmit » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:11 am

Could be a while but I'll have a look when I can.

Regards,
Annette

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks Annette,

I appreciate it very much!

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:14 am

Nothing there I'm afraid. I can only think it hasn't been indexed yet so I'll keep looking whenever I'm there.

Regards,
Annette

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:19 pm

nelmit wrote:Nothing there I'm afraid. I can only think it hasn't been indexed yet so I'll keep looking whenever I'm there.

Regards,
Annette
Annette, thanks, you've inadvertently helped me too - I was under the impression the indexes in the database were complete. Good to know that they're not. I can feel another trip to Scotland coming on.... :wink:

Regards, Ann

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:43 pm

Ann In the UK wrote:
nelmit wrote:Nothing there I'm afraid. I can only think it hasn't been indexed yet so I'll keep looking whenever I'm there.

Regards,
Annette
Annette, thanks, you've inadvertently helped me too - I was under the impression the indexes in the database were complete. Good to know that they're not. I can feel another trip to Scotland coming on.... :wink:

Regards, Ann
Hi Ann,

The records have closure - if I remember correctly it's 75 years for adults and 100 years for a child. I check regularly and recently found one made in 1920 for my husband's grandfather - it definitely wasn't there a few months ago.

The older records, if they exist, are all indexed so don't get too excited. :D

Regards,
Annette

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks for looking Annette,

It's good to know that some things might turn up in the future!

Nina

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:19 am

The older records, if they exist, are all indexed so don't get too excited.
Ahhh... dangnabit! But it is good to know later ones may still turn up. Thanks again.
Ann

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Found him this time. :D

I won't have time to type it up till maybe Sunday but I also found one for Rose Murray/Gordon and Francis.

I can tell you that the applications confirm what the census records say but there is no doubt that the John and Francis you found were brothers and sons of Rose and Owen.

Owen was born at Co. Leitrim to Brian Gordon, a farmer and Mary Meechan.

Get back as soon as I can............I hate working full time!! :D

Regards,
Annette

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:38 am

Oh! Oh! Oh! What a lovely surprise to come back to! I received email notification of this post but I couldn't get onto the site to see what it said! I will be very grateful to hear what the reports say....I have made contact with another researcher who wasn't at all sure if I had made the correct connections, so I am glad to be able to confirm this! And OWEN'S Parents! Another generation! How exciting! I can't wait to see it!

THANKS AGAIN, Annette!!!

Nina