Police Barracks

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

djcrtoye

Police Barracks

Post by djcrtoye » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 pm

I was looking up Airdrie men who fought in the Candaian Army. I came across this Next of Kin address was put down as Police Barracks Coatbridge. Was there a row of houses in which the police lived in ? Also it just gave his mother as next of kin, which would be unusal if it was a tied house. Also where would it have been in Coatbridge. This would be during WW1.

Thanks.
Always looking for rellies near and far, especially Toy(e), Berwick, Tobin, Quinn, Gallagher, Pope and Anderson

Rockford

Re: Police Barracks

Post by Rockford » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi,

The location of police buildings in Coatbridge & Whifflet was the subejct of this topic on Rootschat a while ago:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... msg3185500

There's a bit of general confusion, but two posters at the bottom of the second page might be useful:

"Istrice" states that he or she remembers the Coatbridge Police being located at "(East ?) Muiryhall Street, sandwiched between the rear of the old Town Hall, and Clifton High School (formerly Kildonan Secondary School)" and indicates that it was there between the 1940s and 1970s. The next poster "Rocky" gives information from an ancestor's 1902 marriage certificate and indicates that his residence as a police constable was "Police Office, Muiryhall Street". Someone on the third page indicates that the police building (and cells!) are still there.

My only contribution to the debate was a suggestion that the original poster contact the local library.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian