Mitchell Library Lookup please?

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Adquick

Mitchell Library Lookup please?

Post by Adquick » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 pm

I've seen a few posts here, which are a few years old so I'm asking the question afresh to see whether anyone currently visits the Mitchell Library and is prepared to do a 'look-up' for me.

My particular request relates to the Govan Poorhouse records and my G-G-Grandmother who died there.

Her name was Rose Ann Callaghan (spelt in some documents Colligan), who married a James Ferguson. When she was admitted to the Govan Poorhouse on the 8th July 1908 [Register of Admissions and Discharges, 1909, No. 37 (HB17/2/25)], she gave her age as 80, her status as 'widow' and her 'settlement' as Govan. She died there on the 30th September 1909.

The admission information was sent to me by the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde Archive.

Her parents were Patrick Callaghan and Catherine McCracken - from where I do not know!

I have not yet managed to find her exact date/place of birth or date/place of marriage.

If anyone is prepared and able to help me it would be most appreciated.

Alistair
Researching: Quinlan,Ferguson,Callaghan(Glasgow),Winton(Angus, Dunbarton),Malcolm(Co Down,Glasgow,Dunbarton),Burnett(Kincardine,Angus,Clydebank),Law(Ayr, Argyll),Seckie (Ayr),Orr(Ayr,Co Antrim),Walker(Angus),McCallum(Argyll),Aitkin(Hawick).

Currie

Re: Mitchell Library Lookup please?

Post by Currie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:23 am

Hello Alistair, and Welcome to TalkingScot.

I can’t help you with the lookup, I don’t think I’ll get to see the Mitchell in this lifetime, maybe the next.

You haven’t mentioned census returns. Have you managed to find her in any census and what info did that provide regarding date and place of birth?

Could you find birth certificates for her children? Any post 1855 should have date and place of marriage.

All the best,
Alan

Adquick

Post by Adquick » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi Alan,

Over the years as various systems change/improved I've looked, without any joy. I've not been able to find the death of her husband who pre-deceased her (James Ferguson is not uncommon), the Register entry for her death states that she used the surname Alexander too and using FREECEN, Ancestry, FamilySearch and Scotland's People I've had no joy in locating any information, including the Census returns. I know of only one child (my great grandmother), whose birth details are from a family bible, the linking with parents coming from the child's marriage and death entries.

All in all, a puzzle that has remained unsolved for many years - but isn't that half the fun?? :D

I only discovered the link with the Govan Poorhouse recently, hence the request to see whether the pre-admission records offered anything useful.

Kind regards,

Alistair
Researching: Quinlan,Ferguson,Callaghan(Glasgow),Winton(Angus, Dunbarton),Malcolm(Co Down,Glasgow,Dunbarton),Burnett(Kincardine,Angus,Clydebank),Law(Ayr, Argyll),Seckie (Ayr),Orr(Ayr,Co Antrim),Walker(Angus),McCallum(Argyll),Aitkin(Hawick).

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:09 am

If you can wait until next month I can have a look for you -I love looking at the Poor Law archives so very happy for the excuse.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

Adquick

Post by Adquick » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:48 am

joette wrote:If you can wait until next month I can have a look for you -I love looking at the Poor Law archives so very happy for the excuse.
Hi joette,

Many thanks for the offer! :) As it's taken me over 20 years to discover that her name was Callaghan and not Colligan, I'm perfectly happy to wait a wee while longer for any further information about her.

I'd love to add 'if there's any more information you need, let me know', but the postings above contain all I know.

Kind regards,

Alistair

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi Alistair,

It's been a while since I looked this one up but thought I'd post it now anyway.

Rose Ann Callaghan or Ferguson applied 6.10.1904
29 Falfield Street, low close
Born Co. Tyrone
Parents - Michael Callaghan, weaver and Catherine McCracken both dead.
RC, widow, Housewife and Hawker

Husband - John Ferguson, Mason, born Cupar, Angus died 10/12/1868 in City Poorhouse
Protestant - son of John Ferguson, Mason and ...........Paterson both dead

Married 42 years ago at St Andrews RC Chapel

Family - James born Stockwell St - whereabouts unknown for 20 years
Margaret born Old Wynd - married with 9 children to John Quinlan

No means - no society - pays 5/- per month for rent

She applied many times up until 1908

The inspector's report finds that -
Husband applied 28/11/1866 and 7/12/1868

Pauper applied 6/3/95 from 2 College St. Sent away to come back when sober.

Applied 121 High Street 4/3/1869
30 Taylor Street 20/1/1871 -self and illegitimate daughter.

I had a quick look today for anything on John Ferguson but couldn't find one in the index that fitted (it didn't help that I had forgotten my specs :D ). I'll look again next time.

I did find 2 indexed for Margaret Quinlan/Ferguson but it was nearly closing time so I couldn't ask for them to be produced. The references are - D HEW 17/236/63947 and D HEW 17/243/66272

You can either email The Mitchell with this info and they will send photocopies to you or you can wait till I go again (could be a while) and I will transcribe it. I forgot to ask how much it would be to copy but I am fairly sure if you have a reference they only charge for copying and postage. You can ask if you mail them at archives@glasgowlife.org.uk.

Let me know what you decide.

Regards,
Annette

Adquick

Post by Adquick » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi Annette,

Many thanks for your post. I've been unable to enjoy my hobby/pastime/obsession recently but slowly getting back to it, hence my tardiness is seeing your post & responding.

I'll use the reference number you quoted and see what turns up.

Kind regards,

Alistair

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi Alistair,

I'm glad you didn't spend the £20 plus for Margaret's applications as they don't tell you anything about the family that you don't already know.

Margaret Ferguson or Quinlan applied 26/7/1881 from 31 Thistle St

Religion - RC
Marital Status - Deserted
Occupation - Domestic
Disability - Pregnancy 3rd Month

Husband John Quinlan, window cleaner left her on Saturday last, resides with his mother at 28 Hallside St.

Daughter of John Ferguson, Mason. dead and Rose Ann Callighan who resides with applicant.

Application Refused - Not Deserted.

Looks like the inspector found John at home when he visited!

The other application was blank as Margaret withdrew.

Regards,
Annette

Adquick

Post by Adquick » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Annette,

Many thanks once again! Apologies for the tardy reply - a death in the family rather stopped other activities for a while. It maybe didn't tell me what I had hoped for but it does shed light on another issue that I was unaware of!!

Kind regards,

Alistair