Food for thought.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Malcolm

Food for thought.....

Post by Malcolm » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:14 am

For the life of me i cannot find an item I came accross in these posts two to three weeks ago. I think it was a website attatched to a post on the subject of Poorhouses
One of the things I read was a menu for the residents which included a dish of "meal". What is or was "meal"? This is quite important as it was the first account I have seen of what food working people prepared for their own peer group. Can anyone out there direct me to the article please.
Furthermore, I'm very interested in Scottish social history from 1750 to 1920 and would be very greatful therefore for any pointers leading to written accounts of what working people ate.
I've built an ancestral home in my head but before everyone sits down to tea, I need to know what to cook.
Thank you in anticipation
MM
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

Sobil

Post by Sobil » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:18 am

Hi Malcolm,

Didn't see the post myself, but I just Googled for 18th Century Diet (not in inverted commas) and the first three articles were for

"18th Century Civilisation: Peasants and Aristos", a quick and enjoyable read including a passage on diet.

A BBC history of 18th Century navy life

18th Century Prison Life

Sounds like good background reading. I don't know exactly what meal is but I'm guessing oatmeal/bran cooked up into a sludge with water and salt.... hence the term "gruel".

Sobil
Looking for John Robert McColl born around 1854, son of James? both shipwrights or similar possibly from Kilmacolm

Sobil

Post by Sobil » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:32 am

Hi Malcolm,

Just found this...

If you go to the "Sources" link at the top of this page, click on "Poorhouses in Scotland", scroll to the bottom of that page and click on "Workhouses in Scotland". Half way down the page is a Breakfast, Dinner, Supper menu for poorhouses. Is that what you were looking for?

Sobil
Looking for John Robert McColl born around 1854, son of James? both shipwrights or similar possibly from Kilmacolm

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:34 am

Thank's Sobil
I think that must have been what i read. No wonder i couldn't find it. It was right there in front of me all the time.
Thank's once again
MM
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone