Craw Road, Paisley.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Caroline

Craw Road, Paisley.....

Post by Caroline » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:47 pm

I have a relative who died at 15, Craw Road, Paisley in 1943. Would I be correct in assuming that this was where the Poor House was located ? I tried the Poor House site, but they don't give the exact address and I can't find any maps for that period.

If it is the Poor House would Paisley Library have the records?

Caroline
Hood, Nicholson, Strang, Taylor, Wallace - GLASGOW
Ritchie, Robertson, Smith, Summers - FIFE
Henderson, Montgomery, Rutherford - HAUGH OF URR
Hart, McAdam, Young - DUNBARTONSHIRE
Caldwell, Roberts - RENFREWSHIRE

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:10 pm

Hullo Caroline

The Paisley Poor House was situated in Craw Road. This link gives you a bit of information

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/ ... bbey.shtml

The Paisley Library hold excellent PoorHouse records. However I was told recently, concerning one of my relatives that if they were admitted to the hospital part of the Poor House, because they were ill and subsequently died, there would not necessarily be records.

However it would certainly be worth your while to contact the Library.

Kind regards

Catriona

TD

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi Caroline

I have not been able to find out exactly when the accommodation at Craw Road changed from a Poor Law hospital to Part 3 Accommodation.
It was a change in name only since the client group served were exactly the same. The premises were taken over and administered by the Royal Alexandria Infirmary, Barbour Park Paisley ( which is only 500 yards away ) probably with the enactment of the National Health Service Act in 1948. Part of the buildings were retained and supported by the Social Work department and used to house frail elderly people from then until comparatively recently.
The description Poor House was based on much older legislation although local people would continue to call it that for many years after the name had been changed.
Who would hold records would be difficult to establish since the rest of the buildings were used for similar patients who had a medical need too.
I used to work in the Hospital part in the early 1970's

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:32 pm

Hi Caroline,
Unfortunately there is a 70yr closure date on the Paisley Poor Relief applications.
But certainly no harm in asking as your relative might have applied many years before 1943.
Staff at the Paisley Reference Library are very helpful - had to use TinyUrl as the link is far too long.
http://tinyurl.com/hxkv8
Jack

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi RusselL and Jack,

Thanks for your help and I will contact Paisley Library right away.

I've had this DC for years, but I had just assumed the address in Craw Road was a relatives house as the persons usual residence was McDowall Street in Johnstone. Always worth having a second look isn't it and not jumping to conclusions!

Caroline

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:50 pm

Hi again Jack,

Just sent an email to Paisley Library using the link you gave above, but it's been returned undelivered. This is where I sent it to

locstuds@renfrewshire.gov.uk

Do you have another address for them?

Caroline

It's okay just realised that they have the wrong email address on their website , it should be locstuds.els@renfrewshire.gov.uk