Sottish prison staff.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Rachel

Sottish prison staff.....

Post by Rachel » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:42 pm

:oops: I have been asked to help a friend trace a relative who worked in the Prison service late 19th early 20th c. she does not know where in Scotland. I have a feeling that there is a means of tracing employees of the prison service but cannot recall how. Can anyone suggest a database? Any ideas would be appreciated.
rachel
searching. McFeeters,Finlayson,Baillie,Carey,Young,Fiskin and Lone/Loan Ireland,Scotland Glasgow and Perth.
Finlayson and Cooksley Chelsea Kensington and Somerset.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:36 pm

Hi Rachel
At the Scan site:
http://www.scan.org.uk/researchrtools/index.htm
in the Knowledge Base

Where can I find the employment record of a prison warder?
  • Staff records in the true sense for the Scottish prison service begin only in 1893. From then until 1946 staff registers were compiled and these are now held by the National Archives of Scotland (HH87 - Prison service staff registers).

For the period prior to this the search for details of prison staff will be time consuming and probably unrewarding. The 'Prisons - Administrative Records' series (HH12) in the National Archives of Scotland should be examined for possible records. The most likely source among these records are the Governors' Journals of individual prisons, which ought to record members of staff starting and leaving (or being dismissed), and absences due to illness or other causes. However, as the journals are a form of logbook, the search through these for details of individual staff members can be tedious.

For the period prior to 1839 the main source of information on burgh jails, tolbooths, lock-ups etc will be the minute books of the burgh or town council concerned. A search through these for information on the appointment of individual warders is likely to be even more tedious ands unrewarding than the search through Governors' Journals for prisons after 1839.
Hope this is of some help.
best wishes
Lesley
Researching:
Midlothian & Fife - Goalen, Lawrie, Ewart, Nimmo, Jamieson, Dick, Ballingall.
Dunbartonshire- Mcnicol, Davy, Guy, McCunn, McKenzie.
Ayrshire- Lyon, Parker, Mitchell, Fraser.
Easter Ross- McCulloch, Smith, Ross, Duff, Rose.

Rachel

Scottish prison staff

Post by Rachel » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm

Thank you Lesley for your reply, I have passed it on.
rachel
searching. McFeeters,Finlayson,Baillie,Carey,Young,Fiskin and Lone/Loan Ireland,Scotland Glasgow and Perth.
Finlayson and Cooksley Chelsea Kensington and Somerset.