144 Comiston Road, Colinton, Edinburgh?.....

Asylums, Poor Houses and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

sweetpea

144 Comiston Road, Colinton, Edinburgh?.....

Post by sweetpea » Tue May 23, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi

My great x 2 grandfather died at the above address, although it was not his usual residence . I noticed when I got his death certificate that there were others on the same page that had also died here and wondered if it could have been a hospital, clinic or poorhouse? Has anyone any idea?

Thanks

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue May 23, 2006 4:36 pm

Hi
Not sure what it was but it seems to be a Retirement Home now...

http://www.housingcare.org/retirement-h ... tland.aspx

Best wishes
Lesley

TD

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue May 23, 2006 4:46 pm

144 Comiston Road was the address used for Edinburgh City Poorhouse. The gatehouse was at 144 Comiston Road (a few hundred yards from where I was raised), at the start of a driveway that was most of a mile long, leading to the Poorhouse. Comiston Road was in St Cuthberts Parish, but the far end of that driveway lead into Colinton Parish.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/ ... shtml#city

The Poorhouse was Greenlea old folks home by the time I knew it. It was later closed and converted into expensive flats - some extreme from being the poorhouse.

The retirement flats that Lesley described above were built on the site of the gatehouse.

All the best,

AndrewP

TD

sweetpea

Post by sweetpea » Tue May 23, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks Andrew, I have been trying to work out the identification of this address for some time! Wonder if my relative was a Man of good charachter or a dubious man??? :lol:

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue May 23, 2006 11:40 pm

sweetpea wrote:Thanks Andrew, I have been trying to work out the identification of this address for some time! Wonder if my relative was a Man of good charachter or a dubious man??? :lol:
Unfortunately Edinburgh City Council in their infinite wisdom incinerated the poorhouse records, so it may be difficult to establish the circumstances that took this man to the Poorhouse.

All the best,

AndrewP