CS1 posts

Stories and Poems by our members.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Laura

The Study

Post by Laura » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:06 pm

Dear Bob,

As a parent of two members of the Boomerang Generation, I feel your pain. I grew up hearing the expression, "armchair traveller". I wonder if the expression, "armchair genealogist", will become a part of the Baby Boomer generation?

All the best,
Laura

HK

Post by HK » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:35 pm

Our comp. and desk have taken over the livingroom as PMQs are not built to house 6 people (My bedroom is the dinningroom complete with large light fixture.In an aside Mum once phoned to say she had heard we had mjk living in our basement.I cleared that up right quick she lives in the attack with my daughters.)As I have to share my comp.with others and thier varied interests,Tom bible studies,mjh photos,Mandy roll playing clubs,Megan Japanese anime and Rob games and comics.(I showed him Garfield and Oor Wullie my mistake)I get the comp.mostly early weekday mornings when all are in school.Unfortunately I am also expected to do my housework ,run errands and prepare dinner.(These people are crazy)So my searches are done in fits and starts and if I'm on a roll and my turn is up so be it.The next place I head is the kitchen and the big table where I can spill out all my papers and really study them.I spend a long time making notes in books, loose leafs and little square bits of paper I attach with paperclips(I don't advise this as they get attached to other bits of paper and you soon have an Uncle Herbert where he doesn't belong.Also 8 year old boys make pretty necklaces with the paperclips .Very annoying when your in a hurry.)Unfortunately my husband often beats me their and spreads out the Good book and other tomes leaving no room for me.That leaves my bedroom .A queen size bed provides plenty of room to spread out but one good bounce by before mentioned necklace making son wanting to know if he can have icecream and my Newfs and Scots are all immigrating to Ireland.
We hope to have a new home in a year or 2 when we are sure the Military won't send us on another merry chase.(Had a house once,just finished getting it the way we liked it.I even unpacked pictures and hung them.We were posted 3 weeks later.)
My supplies all come from the local dollar store.I have 2 portable cases for holding manila folders.1 for my family in Scotland and 1 for my husbands Newfs.(Soon to be English,Irish and Scots)
If anyone has a little corner I could borrow for a wee bit of peace just send me the particulars I'll be on the next plane. :lol:
HK

sporran

Re: studies

Post by sporran » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:22 pm

Hello Bob,

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Number 3 son is doomed. By an odd coincidence, Davie Webster and I have been trying to upstage each other this week, since both of us have 2 studies!

In my case, we bought the house new in July 1999, and had two offspring at home with middle one at university. Bedroom 5 was not really a bedroom for anything other than a young child, so we converted it into a room for homework. Now that they have all left home, wife Sheila uses it as a "video-editing suite", since she transfers lots of videos to DVDs for the school where she works.

The proper study is below the lad's bedroom, and forms the part of the house to the right of the front door, this part being half the depth of the rest of the house. There are windows at each end. The north window looks down the close of houses (it's on a hill with about a 1 in 10 slope), over the rooftops to fields, woods, and a few farms. The wonderful National Trust walking and running area of Bircher Common and the woods around Croft Castle are on the horizon about 7 miles away. The south window is a much more prosaic view: part of the vegetable garden, compost bins, strawberry tub, one of the rotary washing lines, and the fence to neighbours. One neighbour has two new sheds, so eat your heart out John "Boggy" Marsh (for Radio 2 Wogan listeners). A cat occasionally passes along the fence or drops down into the garden, where it gets a clod of soil thrown at it, or a shot from a water pistol.

The study has a line of 4 bookcases and 2 matching tall CD racks (Ikea, in cherry wood). The desk (also cherry, but Office World) is a monstrous thing that dominates the room. It is basically L-shaped, with the back edges being 5 feet long, and the front sweeps round in an arc. The left side has 2 drawers for hanging files, and the right side has a cupboard for storage of software. The bookcases have books and maps of all subjects, shapes, and sizes, but no genealogy ones. BMDs are stored within plastic sleeves in 3 bulging ring binders, and there are two box files with miscellaneous information in colour-coded plastic wallets. The desk has a PC and shredder underneath it, monitor on a shelf, and an excellent HP printer/scanner/copier/fax on another shelf. Papers for "work in hand" are everywhere, mainly through lack of file storage (there is a partly-filled filing cabinet in the garage, however). Five framed pictures of scenes from 80-150 years ago are on one wall. A radio is on top of one of the bookcases, and speakers for listening to CDs on each side of the monitor.

There is a separate phone line for the internet in the study (requested when the house was being built), and the house telephone is a cordless one in the adjacent hall (I am considering only one ADSL line, though). The toilet is next to the study, but the kitchen is very inconveniently at the other end of the house, about 15 strides away.

Most of my day is spent in the study. The lounge is also down the east end of the house, so I can wallow in here without Sheila and I disturbing each other (we meet occasionally, in case you wondered). It is the first proper study that I have had, and I love it.

Regards,

John

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:34 pm

Naw, Naw, Ah hivna goat two studies. Ah've oanlie goat ra wan! (Former No.4 bedroom)

The other "study" is the office for the erstwhile job ("downsized" 3 months ago, so Ah wis :cry: ) - former dining room, and possibly about to revert to that function given a glint I've noticed just recently in my better half's eyes; but then my excuse is that I need it for job-hunting, and quite possibly working as an independent consultant !!

Davie

sporran

Re: studies

Post by sporran » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:21 pm

Hello Davie,

so who wrote "I'll top that!" in an e-mail 3 days ago about his 2 studies?

Regards,

John

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Cyber Seance 1

Post by AndrewP » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:33 am

Moonwatcher wrote:And then there's Andrew, our resident map expert. How impressive his walls must be, bedecked with his antique maps and ancient town plans. Map drawers full of brown stained maps with the inscription 'Here be dragons' scribbled on their borders. His collection of compasses, protractors, sextants and... navigational twiddly things. Must be something to behold.
Home is a one-bedroom flat (bachelor pad, much to my mother's disappointment). There is no study. The PC sits on a hi-fi cabinet in the corner of the living room, the hi-fi having been shoved to the other end of the cabinet. There are no maps on the wall - only two pictures (one a local scene c.1905 and the other, a photo my brother took of Princes Street, the Scott Monument and the Castle). No drawers full of old maps - there's the internet for that. No protractors, sextants or the like.

The maps I have are all fairly recent, mostly of places I have been on holiday or business. It shouldn't surprise you that when I am away somewhere, I like to explore, therefore a map must be bought.

All the best,

Andrew

StewL

Post by StewL » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:57 am

Well I live in a two bedroom flat (batchelor as it is only me :D ) I am organised but also very disorganised. Ask HeatherK, about her Johnstones I couldn't remember, only to find print copies a foot away) Computer is on table in living room/kitchen. Have meant to move it back into spare room, but that would mean cleaning university stuff off floor. I have ADSL so phone is not a problem. This is also my job hunting office too, beeing a recent graduate :D .

Unfortunately at this stage I have no genealogy CD's, a situation that will be rectified when I get back to work.
I do have a small file of print outs of research, but must confess I rely on mulitple folders in my computer to store stuff, but i do back it up on CD.

:D :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:01 am

I've made the living room my "study". I threw out a dining table, and one of the armchairs to make space - being happily divorced for many a year meant no one to say i couldn't :D. In the room is a filing cabinet & 2 tall wooden shelf units fitted with extra shelves. The cabinet holds my BMD names & numbers lists from SP, and the units have folders of FGS, old notebooks, paper, back-up Cds etc.

I built bookshelves to the ceiling on the right recess of the chimney breast, and my desk sits in the left with the pc monitor on top. On a shelf above are 2 printers, together with more Cds, telephone, current notebooks etc. It's not a boast my mention of 2 printers - this came about simply because practically all my printing is text and i was forever buying black ink for the inkjet (i just prefer hard copy). So after a fair bit of reading up on them i decided to splash out and get a basic mono laser printer - and i'm delighted i did.
Also on the desk are 5 labelled trays for various ongoing work (which gets looked at when i remember), and a scanner (which i've yet to master), plus the always on radio; got rid of the tv years ago, and not missed since.
You'd think i've got enough storage space, but i've 2 other 4 drawer filing cabinets (a local office was throwing them out) in a bedroom too - these hold old correspondence, articles i've printed on Fam Hist, pc tips and so forth, together with a host of household paperwork. But many things just seem to disappear in them; it's like having a personal "black hole".

Only wall hangings are 2 maps of old Paisley and 2 photies of Minnie (the dog). There WAS going to be Fam Hist chart so's i could get a better understanding of my family lines by just looking. But after i printed the sheets out and taped them all together it was found to be over 50 feet long - and only about 2 feet high. It would have went on the wall ok, but also across the doors and windows too - so that daft idea is scrapped meantime.

All in all, i'm quite happy with the set-up, but i urgently need to properly index BMDs & census records accumulated over the last few years - it often takes me hours (and much more at times) to find what i'm looking for :(.

Jack

AnnetteR

Post by AnnetteR » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:52 pm

Hi all

Being a bacheloress (I hate the word spinster) I also live in a one bedroom flat and the bedroom is where my computer lives. I used to have it in the recess in my living room but as that is also the dining area I had to 'shift' when the files and CDs began to grow at an alarming rate. The bedroom is quite large and I have a corner unit which houses the computer quite neatly, it's all the gumph that makes the mess.

So Bob nae study fur me the noo but who knows' in the future if ah decide tae flit, ah might jist get masell a study.

Cheers

Annette
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.

HK

Post by HK » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:18 pm

I have a den does that count?My son sleeps there.As I said PMQs are not built for comfort.And the guy incharge of housing has a wicked sence of humor.Largest family ,smallest hovel.Fantastic view! :)
HK