Help with deciphering an occupation

Occupations and the like.

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Help with deciphering an occupation

Post by SarahND » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Fascinating! Thanks Alan. Now I know everything I need to know to set up drain tile manufacturing... and timely information it is, having just dug a large hole in the ground to put a rainwater tank and discovered quite a layer of clay :) I'll let you know how I get on. I think, it being a small operation, I'll go with the one horse mill as suggested.

All the best,
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Hello Sarah,

That would be interesting. Just be sure not to ride the horse around and around and around and around and around and around and around etc. for too long, or you could both end up like this. http://www.dark-movies.de/CatBallou/Neu2.jpg

All the best,
Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Alas, too late... That picture bears a striking resemblance to yours truly today. I guess I should have reversed direction for part of the time, or at least made a longer radius on the arm so the circles wouldn't be so tight. Live and learn. I guess it's clear I was not born to this-- do you think it's evidence that this is not my family after all?

With head still spinning,
Sarah

Ron Welsh

Post by Ron Welsh » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:54 am

More help required deciphering an occupation.
I am currently researching my Welsh family in Wemyss, Fife.
They were miners.
In the 1961Scottish census my great great grandfather George Welsh is shown as 'Coal Hill Gaicoe'.

I cannot find a meaning for Gaicoe.

In the 1851 census he was listed as a 'Coal Grieve'. That wasn't so hard to find.

Help would be appreciated.

regards Ron Welsh.

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:55 am

Hello Ron,

Gaicoe sounds like an Ancestry transcription of grieve. Have seen worse.

From “A general view of the coal trade of Scotland, 1808. https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Dz ... al&f=false
“When, therefore, a cart is to be filled with these coals, the round coals are laid aside, and a labourer, with a riddle of an inch mesh, separates the dross from the small cubic pieces of coal. Those coals which keep above the riddle, are thrown into the cart, and the quantity of this kind is regulated by the general quantity of small coal which the seam yields in working, which in practice is easily ascertained. The round coals are put on next, and built in a very firm manner above the mouth of the cart, a mode in which the Glasgow carters are very dexterous. The weight of the cart having been previously ascertained, the weight of the coals are adjusted on a steelyard, by the hill-grieve, and thus delivered to the consumer.“

Steelyard balance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steelyard_balance
“Even larger steelyards were three stories tall and used to weigh fully laden horse-drawn carts.”

Hope that helps,
Alan

Ron Welsh

Post by Ron Welsh » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:57 am

Alan,
thank you for your most informative reply.

regards Ron Welsh

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:12 am

In farming, a grieve is an overseer or supervisor. He (or she) would be answerable to a manager, or possibly owner. That "second-in-command" position for a grieve may well have been applicable in other industries, such as mining.

All the best,

AndrewP