James Street Relief Church Edinburgh

Churchyards and Monumental Inscriptions, Burial and headstone information

Moderators: Global Moderators, LesleyB

Outlander

Re: James Street Relief Church Edinburgh

Post by Outlander » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:35 am

Hi John

I hope this isn't information overlaod but I keep finding stuff !!!

Nonconformists. ... There were two categories of so-called nonconformist churches in Scotland: Seceders -- Those who seceded from the main church but were still Presbyterian in form. Dissenters -- Those who were not Presbyterian in form, such as Episcopal, Methodist, or Catholic.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Ed ... ief_Church

St. James Place Relief Church[edit source]

History—
This congregation originated in the overflowing attendance at the College Street Church in 1796. The parties forming it built a place of worship in West Port which they soon found too small and inconvenient. They sold it to a congregation in connection with the Reformed Presbytery who afterwards rebuilt it. They erected another church in St. James place and removed to it in December 1800.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. FHL Film #477618. More details may be given in source.

Records—
Various Minutes 1796–1956
Baptismal Register 1792–1827, 1833–1921
Note: Available in the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/722 and CH3/721.

Other United Presbyterian Churches

Other pre–1855 congregations, for which extent of records is unknown, include:
• Roxburgh Place, formed in 1808 and given “quoad sacra” status in 1833.
• Bethel Relief Church was formed prior to 1831 and merged with the Arthur Street congregation in 1842. (See Arthur Street congregation.)
• North Richmond Street Church was formed in 1844 by those who withdrew from the Bread Street Church. They united with the Henderson Church in 1867.
• West Richmond Street Church was formed in 1805 by those who withdrew from the Potterrow Church along with their minister. They built a church in West Richmond Street in 1813.

• The Newington Church was formed in 1848.

Maybe I should just stop looking !!!

Cheers
Outlander