Aaaarg! My brick wall.....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:15 pm

Thanks Andy,
Glad they've been found, was it the Henry in Canongate?
So it's 2 of the same name, marital status, occupation, birthplace, and near enough same age!
Quite a coincidence! But i know you don't believe in them :lol: And most of the time i don't either.
Jack

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:41 pm

No the 1861 Henry was in Lanarkshire. I not checked out the OTHER Canongate Henry but there may be a connection there too!
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:22 pm

Hi Andy,
Seems the name index i looked at doesn't have Henry in Lanarkshire, nor Edward either. Odd!
Just to be sure he's missing from it; was Henry as McADAM? his age? what Enumeration Dist? And wee Edward's too?
Thanks - Jack

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:59 pm

It's actually a 39 year old one in Carlton, but, as you can see, there are two of the sameish ages as Silvester in Canongate AND Cenrtal Glasgow (the second is Henry's son).

1 1861 MCADAM HENRY M 39 CALTON GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/04 095/04 005
2 1861 MCADAM HENRY M 23 GLASGOW CENTRAL DISTRICT GLASGOW CITY/LANARK 644/01 034/01 009
3 1861 MCADAM HENRY M 2 CANONGATE EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/03 073/03 003
4 1861 MCADAM HENRY M 24 CANONGATE EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/03 073/03 003
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Jack

Post by Jack » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks for that Andy,
Yes, both Henrys are in the 1861 Glasgow index - glad of that!
I didn't look at the 23yr old Henry in Glasgow Central (he is b Glasgow too).
I would have (in case of an index age error) if the 39yr old in Calton 1861 hadn't matched the 60yr Henry on the 1881 Paisley census.
But the Henry in the Greendyke St Model did tally; that's why i thought it was right Henry....
I'm confused! Jack

susieq

Post by susieq » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:38 am

Hiya!
You guys are amazing!
This is the thing with this *hobby* it gets you intrigued and you always want to find out more!
It's puzzle solving of sorts! Who needs sudoko, jigsaws or crosswords when you have families :D :D
I thank you both very much :D
Susan.
innes/morayshire
george/morayshire
dunnet/dunnet
wright/nenthorn
good/lasswade

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:47 am

Sudoko, - been there, addicted for a while, never quite mastered the skills to my complete satisfaction for the higher levels of difficulty, but rarely do one nowadays, as, once you can regularly solve them, where's the challenge?

The difference here is that there's always a new problem, or a new angle on an old problem :shock:

David

susieq

Re: Aaaarg! My brick wall.....

Post by susieq » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:56 pm

Just had to post an update to this post!

This afternoon through the wonders of the internet, and my original post on this board, i am due to meet a direct desendant of Rose McAdam, Silvester's daughter.
It seems she (Rose) was found guilty of forgery and transported to Tasmania for 7yrs in 1849, there she stayed, still causing bother, and married a fellow convict. The desendant of which i am due to meet.

This stirred an interest in the McAdams again, this morning i found that Silvester daughters Grace and Ann/Annie were married on the same date to two gents staying at the same address in St James Square, Edin. The two sisters (in-service) staying at the same address in Little King Street, Edin.

Unfortunatley Ann's marrage did not last long as she was found murdered in Blackfriars Street in 1905, her husband was then found guilty of culpable homicide and sentenced to 10 years, although he was freed and married again by 1913!
i've still to dig out the court cases, but very sad reading.

The things you dig up when 'doing this' hobby! just wish one of my in-laws was interested in their family tree! Aw well, i will post an up-date and let you know how the meet goes!

Susan.
innes/morayshire
george/morayshire
dunnet/dunnet
wright/nenthorn
good/lasswade

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:58 am

Hello Susan,

Things are going well for you.

The Sylvester/McAdam combination is certainly a rarity and it makes you wonder whether they’re all linked.

On FreeBMD there’s a Sylvester McAdam born 1898 in Northumberland and a 1922 marriage in Co. Durham, to a Nora Carrick.

There’s a 9 year old Sylvester McAdam in the 1911 Irish census. His father, Francis, was RC and born Co. Monaghan c.1855.

In the ‘Irish Independent’ newspaper, Tuesday, May 29, 1923 there’s a report that Capt. Silvester M’Adam, National Army, had died of wounds and was being buried with full military honours. There was a large attendance of Co. Monaghan military etc.

And this looks like more trouble but you’re probably used to that by now. In the Caledonian Mercury, Saturday, April 29, 1865, there’s a report of a Sylvester M’Adam, Ashley Buildings, High Street, being sent to prison for 60 days. He had been riotous and disorderly, and had assaulted wife Mary and daughter Helen age 12.

Hope that’s interesting,
Alan

susieq

Post by susieq » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 am

Hey Alan,

thanks for posting a reply, where does this Caladonian Mercury cover? As this ties in with my Silvester, who's wife Mary ms Fiztpartick had a daughter Helen/Ellen who was born in 1852!

Sometimes when doing this research i have a mental picture of the people, and for some reason i never think of them as being 'bad', Rose, Silvesters sister i think of as being a bit of a character. After reading her court trial papers i still think of her that way, trying to buy whiskey, aged 16 with a forged coin is a bit naughty, but to me not 'bad'.

But Silvester assaulting his Mrs is not nice!

Gawd i love this hobby, esp when i get another link.

Oops forgot to say i met my husbands rellie yesterday, really lovely guy, gave him lots of reading, but now i have even more questions, even with lots of answers there always more to find out!

So much to do, so little time hahaha.

Susan.
innes/morayshire
george/morayshire
dunnet/dunnet
wright/nenthorn
good/lasswade