Please help! Are these Poorhouses, 1891/1901 Census? .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

laineywoo

headers

Post by laineywoo » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:10 pm

Hi Annette
Yes! I did go off and look at the headers.......still cant believe I had never noticed them before! Got quite excited there for a while lol. The later ones seem really quite interesting, as I still live in the same area as alot of my ancestors. It really seems to narrow down the area concerned quite a bit. Will need to go back through all the ones I have downloaded and look at them better. Can you not view many of the ones from 1841 or is it just me? Nothing is coming up from them, but the later ones are really quite informative.
Lainey
searching for Jacks, Williamsons, Maxwells, Wardlaws, Hardies, Bennies, Kays, Bruce, Sneddon, Dougall and Galloway all mainly Polmont and Muiravonside areas - basically all families from Polmont!!

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi Russell & Annette,

Well I definitely think there is a story as wife & kiddies were happily living in Moncur Street for a long time after...and eldest daughter was a bible woman in 1901 so that probably wouldnae go down too well!

Also his cause of death was malignant disease of the bladder...drink related perchance?

Thanks for putting them in your wee book Annette, it'll be interesting to see what transpires.

Cheerio for now
Donna

p.s. Russell, where are your Millar's from?

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:37 pm

Hi Donna

I doubt his bladder cancer would be drink related. More likely to be Cirrhosis of the Liver.

My Millars are from Caithness
Isabella Millar married Nathaniel Oman (my gggrandfather) in 1826
Her parents were James Millar & Janet Brock.

Any link there ?

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

DavidWW

Re: headers

Post by DavidWW » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:33 am

laineywoo wrote:Hi Annette
Yes! I did go off and look at the headers.......still cant believe I had never noticed them before! Got quite excited there for a while lol. The later ones seem really quite interesting, as I still live in the same area as alot of my ancestors. It really seems to narrow down the area concerned quite a bit. Will need to go back through all the ones I have downloaded and look at them better. Can you not view many of the ones from 1841 or is it just me? Nothing is coming up from them, but the later ones are really quite informative.
Lainey
Lainey

We'll forgive you for not noticing previously :!: :wink:

The link to these header pages weren't there in the beginning.

The ScotlandsPeople User Group had highlighted the problem of identifying the name and type of institution involved for such census entries. Following that, the free link to the header pages was added (last May ??).

These pages are not only vital for identifying the type and name of institution involved, but also very helpful through the description of the area covered by the enumeration district, - in 1901 this is highly detailed, - say anything up to 15 or 20 lines of writing; but become progressively less detailed the earlier the census, maybe only a couple of lines. It may be the case that the header pages for 1841 haven't always survived, - from what I saw written in a another a few days ago.

David

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:26 am

Hi Russell,

Doubt there's a link, the furthest north my lot made it was Clydebank....think it got a bit to cold for them after that!

Do have some old Kilbarchan residents though on my other side from the early to mid 1800s. Family name of Thorburn.

I've got a bit of a diagonal line going on with my tree, majority of one side firmily in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire and the other from the North East, Banff/Aberdeen way.

Cheerio for now
Donna :wink:

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:44 pm

Jockbird wrote:Hi Russell & Annette,

Well I definitely think there is a story as wife & kiddies were happily living in Moncur Street for a long time after...and eldest daughter was a bible woman in 1901 so that probably wouldnae go down too well!

Also his cause of death was malignant disease of the bladder...drink related perchance?

Thanks for putting them in your wee book Annette, it'll be interesting to see what transpires.

Cheerio for now
Donna

p.s. Russell, where are your Millar's from?
Hello Donna,

I found an application for Barbara in 1889 (George had left 18 months previously) and one for George towards the time of his death.

I've PM'd you regarding both.

Kind regards,
Annette M

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:05 pm

Thanks Annette,

I've PMd you back.

20 years in Model Lodging, what a naughty ancestor! [-X

Thansk again,
Donna :wink:

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:16 am

Not always because of drink/mental illness.When my Ggrandparents died the youngest went into an orphange.My Granny lived in at the Western where she worked ditto my Great-Aunt.
Two Uncles were apprentices with not a big wage & the depression & no family to take them in.They lived in Model Lodgings for a period & also in a tent in the Old Kilpatrick hills which was used by many especially to avoid the Means Test.
If you were alone & with a low paid job or a job which included lots of lay-offs then sometimes the "Models" were the answer or indeed the only option of a roof over your head!
Some preffered it as an alternative to the Poorhouse & with the means to pay the fees.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:32 am

Donna

For an interesting writer's impression of one Model Lodging House, have a look at:

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic. ... light=#721

Best wishes

Catriona

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:36 am

Hi Joette,

Unfortunately it would appear that my Gx2 grandfather was not one of the more worthy causes in the Model Lodging House.

Annette sent me a wee snippet which she'd going to post on here later but his application runs to some 7 pages and this is just one wee bit from his wife's application:-

"He ill uses her, is much given to drink and goes with strange women." [-X

I'm now in contact with the Mitchell to try and get the actual copy of this but I've found my first black sheep and I can't imagine it going down well with his Bible Woman daughter. :wink:

Donna
x