Great grandmother's real name problem

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

raymonda63

Re: Great grandmother's real name problem

Post by raymonda63 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 pm

mmm now this interesting.... could Ebeneezer be shortened to Ben?
The family refer to a Ben Taylor in relation to this family.

Susan

Post by Susan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi Ray

"Uncle" Fred solved the problem - from that one wee clue there's loads for you.

Had a look for Fred* Wh*te on SP born around same time and place as your grandfather James - there was one in 1902 - so took a look and although it was indexed as Whyte - it's clearly White on the image. The mother is Jane White, laudress of 5 Rossie Place, Edinburgh. Jane's signature matches that on James' entry too - but even better - there is an RCE on Frederick's entry. And would you believe it his father is named as James A Crawford - no occupation is given but there is an address - 24 Milton Street, Edinburgh.

A quick check on Ancestry for 1901 census gives us Jane White aged 18, laundry maid, with parents Benjamin (45) and Jessie (48) White and family at 5 Rossie Place. And at 24 Milton Street we have James Alexander Crawford aged 22, locomotive cleaner with parents James (50) and Mary Jane (51) Crawford.

A quick look at a map of Edinburgh shows us all these addresses are within 5 minutes of each other all around Easter Road.

Checking on Family Search (IGI) and we find that Banjamin White married Jessie Elder in 1872 in Tranent - so that's where the Elder comes into it.

Back to SP and a look for the death of Jane Wh*te born 1883 +/- 3 years shows a possible death in 1944 aged 60, with other name being Taylor - well worth a look - and it shows that Jane Watson Elder White wife of Alexander Peter Taylor died at the City Hospital Edinburgh - her usual address was 11 Ferrier Street, Leith - and parents were Benjamin Watson White and Jessie White ms Elder - so it all ties up nicely with the info you had. Her death was registered by son John Taylor.

There is a marriage on the SP index for 1912 between Alexander Taylor and Jane Watson White which would be worth a look. On the SP death index there is an Alexander Peter Taylor dies in 1959 - that image is not available online at present but will be next year.

Regards

Susan.
Last edited by Susan on Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:00 pm

=D> =D> =D>
Well done Susan - now that's some great sleuthing !

Sally

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Brilliant, Susan! \:D/ That ties it all together very nicely. All the names falling into place!

[cheers]
Sarah

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:51 pm

I guess that puts that one to bed! :D Excellent work Susan!! 3 Cheers and a round of applause =D> :!: :!: :!:

Best wishes
Jean

raymonda63

Post by raymonda63 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Wow! What can I say? Great work!

I was reading last night that illegitimacy can be one of the major stumbling blocks for the family hunter but here is a lesson in how to work around it. It amazes me that the knowledge was always partially there but time had muddied a few recollections.

It will now take me time to digest all the implications and present it to surviving family members - so it is not just myself that you and others have helped and impressed.

It is also interesting what vague stories one can weave looking at maps and reading names... my Crawford Bridge idea is so close to the addresses being mentioned. I can switch off the Royal Park Place enquiries now, though it still intrigues why he was born at that address.

Obviously I am using only one or two online research sources apart from personal family data. It is an education to see what other resources the forum members are using. Perhaps I can look at other enquiry threads to see the other methods used to find information.

Again many many thanks and before I even consider asking about my father's side before Borthwick 1767 if there is any way I can contribute to the site please let me know.

raymonda63

Post by raymonda63 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Can I just mention that when I look at the 1901 Census for the Whites at Ferrier Street on Scotlandspeople there is NO Benjamin White aged 45. Yet on Ancestry Susan has said there IS a Benjamin White listed.
What is going on there?
It looks like Scotlandspeople have photocopied an incomplete listing to that page as there is no window number with the Whites which usually is placed at the start of a family list.
Could you tell me where Benjamin is from? Jessie is from Lanarkshire which means a bit of a move must have happened.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Ray,
I think you mixed up the address with another document.
Susan wrote: A quick check on Ancestry for 1901 census gives us Jane White aged 18, laundry maid, with parents Benjamin (45) and Jessie (48) White and family at 5 Rossie Place.
Benjamin was born in Liberton, Midlothian

All the best,
Sarah

P.S. I should add that when I search on Scotland's People there does appear to be a Ben* Wh?te in Canongate, Edinburgh City, age 45.

raymonda63

Post by raymonda63 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:58 pm

Its ok I got the BenjamAn White info from the 1881 census
Last edited by raymonda63 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raymonda63

Post by raymonda63 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Sorry..yes.. I meant Rossie Place. Just a warning that the copy on scotlandspeople seems to omit the father