Glasgow parish

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish1

Glasgow parish

Post by trish1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:21 am

I've rarely done any research in Glasgow - I found this many moons ago & am trying to add the details to a family file - but I wonder as to the parish

Marriage 04/05/1835 ANDREWS JOSEPH ANN DICKSON/FR7170 (FR7170) M GLASGOW GLASGOW CITY CITY/LANARK 644/01 0410 0591

The parish is given as GLASGOW on both the index and the marriage image - can I find out the Church?

thanks

Trish

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Glasgow parish

Post by AndrewP » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:33 am

Hi Trish,

Glasgow City was the parish, based on its parish church, the High Church or Cathedral (same place by different names). In OPR numbering terms, 644/1 is Glasgow Parish. There will have been many other churches in the parish, but the parish church was the mother church that kept the registers for the parish. As the record appears in the OPRs, the biggest likelihood is that the marriage was by one of the Established Church of Scotland ministers. It was not until about the 1930s that marriages were commonly held in the church itself. More commonly marriages were held in a house (usually the bride's family home) or a hired hall; or occasionally in the manse. The smaller Established Church of Scotlands in the parish did not keep their own registers; their events were recorded in the Parish Church registers - the Parochial Registers, which in time became known as the Old Parochial Registers, nowadays usually shortened to the OPRs.

So in this case, there are no clues as to which individual church within the parish the couple's minister preached in, only that he was one of the ministers in the parish.

It was not until 1855, when the General Register Office for Scotland (GROS) was formed, that the parish was split up into registration districts, that smaller areas held their own registers.

All the best,

AndrewP

trish1

Re: Glasgow parish

Post by trish1 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:03 am

Thank you Andrew - I saw lots of churches in Glasgow listed on genuki - so your explanation is much appreciated. - Perhaps if Dr Duncan Macfarlane is mentioned in the Fasti it may tell me his Church. I do understand that they were probably married in the bride's house - or the Manse or somewhere other than a church.

wishing you a happy and peaceful Christmas

Trish