Loban in Dundurcas

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mispeck

Loban in Dundurcas

Post by Mispeck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Looking for information on the Loban family of Dundurcas Parish. Particularly interested in anything that might help find the parents, siblings etc. of Cpl. Thomas Loban who was, according to one source, ''discharged from the 82nd regiment at Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1783 having served 5 and a half years in the Captain Andrew Rutherford company, being 5 feet 10 inches high, fair, complexion, dark hair, grey eyes, born in the parish of Dundurkis." Loban settled in Northumberland County, New Brunswick, Canada following his discharge and resided there until his death in 1817. Children: Alexander, Isabella, Helen, Catherine, Elizabeth, Margery, William and John.

Moray_Lass

Re: Loban in Dundurcas

Post by Moray_Lass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Welcome Mispeck

I don't think these are my Lobban's but they come from the same area. I have a booklet on Dundurcas I'll look at when I get home from work, and some Lobban cousins (also not my Lobban's :) ) I can contact who are looking at linking all Lob(b)ans and may have some ideas for you. :D
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Okay - Booklet is
The Lands and People of Moray, Part 32, Parish of Dundurcas by Bruce B Bishop
ISBN 978-0-9557032-9-4

This is just from a quick skim over the booklet and I seriously recommend the growing series to anyone interested in Morayshire or Banffshire.

This doesn't give you direct answers but you can maybe tie up people as you go along.

Thomas Lobban 1675 'Received tack of Braccans from Thomas Duncan' (several other people listed as witnessing this but I am not sure what it means)
Jean Younie, servant to Alexander Loban in Cummingston was robbed of her coat by Helen Clerk of Dipple approached Kirk Session around August 1700
Rental of 'Barronie of Mulbain' -
Cummingston - Alexander Lobban and James Wright
Crochnacroy - George Lobban

1715 Kirk Session
Elspet Loban was given funds

1727 Alexander Loban died in Cummingston
1713 Christian Lobban on poor list
1740 John Loban and Anges Bailie were granted testimonials on the Kirk Session
1727 John Loban executor for Alexander Loban
1740 John Loban granted testimonial
1746 Jean Loban with child by Alexander Smith in Ortoun
1763-1773 William Lobban rents Woodhead, 25 acres
1756 James Loban paid for seat in new loft in kirk
1773 Alexander Lobban in Garland, his testament dated 17 Jan 1773

You said one of the children was called Alexander - could it possibly be the first son? Under Scottish naming patterns that could be the Father or Grandfather's name. There are a few Alexander's here. And the testaments might give you some family links at the National Archive of Scotland (online index).

I've sent an email to my cousins and pointed them this way :-)

Hope that give you something to start working on
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'

Mispeck

Post by Mispeck » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Thank you for the information Maggie.... you've definitely given me something to start with. Everything I've found to date suggests that Alexander b1795 was indeed the first born son. The later generations did seem to follow the traditional naming pattern so I suspect you might be right about that possibly being his Father or Grandfathers name.

Debbie

clobban

Post by clobban » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Mispeck, Moray_Lass: I just came upon your dialog about the Miramichi Lobbans, and with a new map I made (https://lobban.one-name.net/?page_id=1975), can suggest a plausible answer to the question about the origin of Cpl. Thomas Loban. (1) The map shows that the area of Dundurcas was occupied apparently exclusively by the “Syd’s Own Family Tree,” a genetic group with the NE Scotland Lobbans haplogroup that I will be calling the Moray Lobbans. (2) Your excerpts from Bishop’s booklet mention an Alexander Lobban in Garland, and you also speculated that Alexander might be Thomas’ father’s name. (3) This person is in Syd’s Own tree (https://www.myheritage.com/site-family- ... yTreeID=14), b. 8 Mar 1713, d. ca 1774, and he had brothers James (1717– ) and John (1715–1780) (perhaps also mentioned in Bishop), also born in Dundurcas. In Syd’s tree there is no Thomas Lob(b)an as a son of Alexander or of his brothers, but this is no surprise since we have not found the baptism record of Thomas.  So, as I say, this is nothing certain, but it does seem probable that Thomas belongs to this genetic line, and plausible that his grandparents were the parents of these three boys (or a missing brother), i.e., John Lobban (b. abt 1685, Urquhart), m. Margaret Man(n) (b. bef. 1693 in Dundurcas). 

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi Chris (I suspect)
I'm Syd's first cousin-once-removed, and that was the cousins I was referring too back in 2013. :-) He has mentioned you. My Dad is descended from the Rothiemay Lobans through his parental line, and Syd by their shared maternal (sisters). Our line of Lobbans move through Boharm (Robert Loban married Isabella Laing of Dundurcas in Boharm) before moving to Garmouth and finally Fochabers. Which is why I have Bishop's Dundurcas booklet. I have my Dad's DNA up on AncestryDNA, but that Robert Loban was the last male Lobban in his line and his 3xG Grandfather so probably not much help in your DNA research. But maybe Mispeck can join in the DNA fun ;-)
Maggie

Parental -
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'