Angus McNaughton/Margaret Young Hutchison(Hutchinson)

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

maria1948

Angus McNaughton/Margaret Young Hutchison(Hutchinson)

Post by maria1948 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:01 am

Good morning
I am currently helping my son in law research his family. His Grandparents are Angus McNaughton and Margaret Young Hutchison/Hutchinson married in 1954 in Ardross and Saltcoates. He thinks Angus was born in Gourock Renfrewshire. This is the only information I have. I am guessing they were born sometime in the 1930's. This is my first time at researching Scottish ancestors so am a bit like a fish out of water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Maria

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Angus McNaughton/Margaret Young Hutchison(Hutchinson)

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:03 am

Good Morning Maria

[TS_welcome]

As these people are of an age group that they could still be living, we have to be careful what we say online.

The place to look for Scottish births, marriages and deaths is www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - a pay-per view website where you can view or download these certificates. The restriction is that you cannot download births less than 100 years ago, marriages less than 75 years ago and deaths less than 50 years ago, although you can see them in the index.

On looking up Angus, I put in some wildcards to allow for spelling variations. I went for Angus M*Naught*n 1910 to 1938, but that produced no results in or around Gourock. Most were in the west of Scotland, with no real clues for which ones to select to narrow the search down. The nearest one is in Dunlop, Ayrshire (just over the border from Renfrewshire); followed by one in Scotstoun & Yoker, one on Hillhead, and one in Old or West Kilpatrick; others are further afield.

I thought Margaret may be easier as you have a middle name. Once more, I used wildcards to allow for some spelling variations and searched for Margaret Young Hutch* 1910 to 1938. That search produced four results; one in Ardrossan, and the others reasonably close by: Kilmacolm, Dunlop and Johnston & Elderslie. If putting on a bet, the one in Ardrossan would look the most likely as they married there.

The problem for you is that as almost all of these people were born less than 100 years ago, you cannot download the certificates. You can order them and they will be sent out to you, but (in my opinion) that is too expensive a method to use when you are speculating that one of them will be the right one, and the rest will be the wrong people.

The way to view these certificates and find which ones are right is to view them in the ScotlandsPeople Centre in Edinburgh, or one of its outposts around Scotland. When in there, you can view certificates without the date restrictions that are placed on downloads. That of course depends on you being in the right part of the world to do that. The marriage certificate will give the ages of the couple, and the names of their parents. That information can be used when tracing the births for the couple, as the birth certificates should name both parents.

If you are outwith Scotland, and don't have anyone in Scotland that can visit the ScotlandsPeople Centre, then you could appeal here to the good nature of the readers to see if anyone is planning to visit one of these research centres soon, and has time to do a little research for you. Failing that, the other option is for you to hire a professional genealogist who will do this for a fee - there are plenty of them out there on the internet.

All the best,

AndrewP

maria1948

Post by maria1948 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:54 am

Sorry Andrew I should have remembered about posting for people who were born after 1919, I did find their births as they emigrated to Australia and that information is available through the Immigration Dept. I have tried to log onto Scotlands People but it will not let me register for some reason, so am awaiting an e-mail from them, Once again apologies for the post. Unfortunately I live in Western Australia. Also thanks for taking the time to look for me
Maria

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:57 pm

Maria,

Another option is joining a Scottish Family History Society, if you are not already a member, many societies will do a small amount of research (for a reasonable fee), i.e visiting the Scotlandspeople hubs either in Edinburgh or Glasgow or Kilmarnock (Ayrshire), at least they would be able to transcribe the records of births/marriages/deaths in the cut off periods.

Glasgow and West Of Scotland do research and cover Ayrshire - https://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/
North Ayrshire (covers Ardrossan) do research - http://northayrshirefhs.org.uk/home.html

Might work out cheaper than buying Certificates that may not be correct. Or you could pay for a Researcher to look the records up for you.

Regards

John

maria1948

Post by maria1948 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:28 am

Hi John
Have managed to find birth information for the two individuals and have finally been able to log on to ScotlandsPeople and have ordered one of the birth certificates which seems to be the correct one. So once I have the details of the parents it will be much easier I hope to research. I am a member of Ancestry and so far no one else is researching this branch of the family, so onwards and upwards.
Regards
Maria